Korean War Tanker Group

Jeeperz83

This was a find today at a local show. Complete uniform and a box of photos, books and other items belonging to George R. Talbott of the 245th Tank BN, 45th ID. Tons of cool stuff including a 1952 pinup calendar, but the Ike jacket is amazing. I've never seen one before with the unauthorized Combat Tanker badge. Has green leader tabs with embroidered "KOREA" in bullion on top. Also found a unit t-shirt in the box that looks Japanese made and his diploma from the leadership course in Japan. Really a cool group. Does anyone have info on the tanker badge? I've never seen another and it's pretty much the reason I grabbed this off the table. More pics to come.

post-6732-0-84567100-1422748866.jpg

kyhistorian01

Nice group. I have seen the tanker badge before, and I believe it was unauthorized - unofficial but worn on occasion. Yours is probably Japanese made. I have an unofficial Artillery one that was German Made. Nice pick up.

My uncle served with the 140th Tank Battalion, 40th Division from Dec 52 - Nov 53 and he said he wore the unauthorized Combat Armor Badge when he was in Korea. Unfortunately when he gave me his things he didn't have it anymore. He did give me his 40th Division starburst patch and ribbons but no badge.

Very nice group. That uniform is just great, I just love Korean War uniforms. The "Tanker" badge is unauthorized, and not as common as the similar Combat Artillery Badge mentioned above ( which is itself fairly rare ). I'm curious, does the badge have any maker marks on the back? The Korea Tabs wear generally worn by Combat troops who were on leave in Japan, but I think they were also often worn by troops returning home for discharge.

Here is a picture of unofficial badges I pulled from Wikipedia

post-122639-0-60453700-1422803450.jpg

Thanks everyone for the info. I pulled back the badge and the reverse is flat and smooth with no maker marks. I've gotten through some of the box contents and it's like a gift that keeps on giving. Found a 45th ID yearbook and unit history for the Korean conflict. Found his discharge papers and company and platoon photos that he captioned with every name on the back. Some pretty cool photos of M4A3 Shermans and M46 Patton tanks. Looks like he started on Shermans and the unit got Pattons when they went into Korea. Also some pics of him wearing the jacket. The t-shirt is such a thin cotton material I'm surprised it even survived a few trips to the wash. I'll start a formal thread once I can take a break from shoveling snow. We're getting dumped on today in northern Illinois.

mywifesays-ohno-morestuff

WOW. I love the leader tabs with Korea on them, VERY cool. Seeing the combat tanker badge is my "you learn something new everyday" lesson. I have'nt ever heard of that, much less even seen one. Until now. Iwould LOVE to see the other stuff. Especially the '52 pin-up calender, woo-woo!

dogfacedsoldier

That is one great grouping. I love the unauthorized badges. I have a Korean War 140th grouping from the 40th also, and it has sone unique items in it.

Jon

Captainofthe7th

Amazing grouping! I think this is the first legitimate wear of a Combat Tanker badge I have seen. I know they exist and have seen plenty of combat Artillery badges in wear, but never an example of the tanker badge like this.

What an amazing find, thanks for posting!

Rob