1966 Ames E-Tool

316th FS 324th FG

316th FS 324th FG

This was recently given to me by a former DI at Fort Polk.

1966 dated Ames e-tool. Looking for a cover the right timeframe.

D

post-2463-1216051658.jpg

post-2463-1216051668.jpg

post-2463-1216051677.jpg

316th FS 324th FG

Excellent guys - Anyone have an extra? I will post separetely in wanted.

I will keep my eyes open. What do they typically run for?

Thanks for the help.

New Romantic
Excellent guys - Anyone have an extra? I will post separetely in wanted.

I will keep my eyes open. What do they typically run for?

Thanks for the help.

Check eBay, these are very common in minty NOS condition, the average price is about $10.

• 3 weeks later...

I was just at an army navy store here in northern cincinnati and saw they have a slew of the M1956 E-tool covers... I'll check the price and get back here with it as soon as I can. They had about fifteen of them... Some were in good condition, others not so good.

Wayne

316th FS 324th FG
I was just at an army navy store here in northern cincinnati and saw they have a slew of the M1956 E-tool covers... I'll check the price and get back here with it as soon as I can. They had about fifteen of them... Some were in good condition, others not so good.

Wayne

Wayne,

Thanks, that's awesome. My local shop is all out and so far, most of the ebay auctions i have followed were for 4-8 of them.

D

Okay, here we go... I hopped up the road to the Army navy store this afternoon and found a few interesting items...

They have 17 of the M1956 etool covers... when I asked if I could take pictures of them to show here, she agreed, then pulled two very nice folders out from under the counter, both with the M1943 second pattern adjustable covers... one was 1943, the other 1944, and niether folder was marked anywhere. Nor were they for sale... I asked. *laughs* Danish folding etools?

As I said, the etool covers are in fair to good condition, I can pick through and get one with better leather if I want. Here are two shots of the average to follow, along with the price. Not bad considering!

Also they have the Mattock holders for$.50 cents!!!

Wayne

post-3743-1217715302.jpg

i am wondering year & years ago....why those vietnam M1951 E-Tools are so rare??? i have only seen just one here in europe were the M43s are all over the place selling for just 2 euros!!!

i know a dealer who's got over 400 M56 covers brand new coupled with M43 shovels but not even one M51 shovel in his stock!!! we checked them all one by one...nothing!!! :blink:think.gifermm.gif

as i'v heard they are rare to the states also!!! so can anyone give us the info what hapened to those millions of M51/56 E- tools???

Honestly, I think it's more because of the decline of Surplus stores here in the states. You can find a few near military bases, but mostly they have disappeared over the years. I had a M56 cover years ago before my military service when I was young and just grabbed up what I could afford. Now, we have had all but one of the true surplus stores dry up and disappear, and even that one caters more to the civilianized junk than to true military surplus. I will say though, the owner knows her militaria... she knew enough to call the M56 covers "vintage", and she knew enough to flat out refuse an offer to buy one of the two m43s she had behind the counter.

As far as the M1951 E Tool, My Boy Scout Troop had one in the Camp box... lost in a house fire... I remember using the pick part to break the ground, and the shovel part to turn broken ground into a slit trench... LOL I find myself saddened by all the original gear I've had over the years, lost by fire, and just plain simple greedy movers. Sure, something comes up missing, like the box that contained over $7000 worth of original vintage uniforms and equipment, and the army has you make a claim, but to them, its not worth much or they would have kept it in service to begin with, so instead of "Vintage collectibles", you get paid a pittance for "Surplus items"

I'll keep my eyes open here for more stuff....

Wayne

Greg Robinson
i am wondering year & years ago....why those vietnam M1951 E-Tools are so rare??? i have only seen just one here in europe were the M43s are all over the place selling for just 2 euros!!!

i know a dealer who's got over 400 M56 covers brand new coupled with M43 shovels but not even one M51 shovel in his stock!!! we checked them all one by one...nothing!!! :blink:think.gifermm.gif

as i'v heard they are rare to the states also!!! so can anyone give us the info what hapened to those millions of M51/56 E- tools???

My experience with them is that they're fairly common. The rare one are those with Korean War dates. If you want a mid '60's date intrenching tool any of the "Nam" militaria dealers have them in stock most of the time. No, not as common as late war dated M43's but not rare.

• 2 years later...
Simon Lerenfort
This was recently given to me by a former DI at Fort Polk.

1966 dated Ames e-tool. Looking for a cover the right timeframe.

D

I'm curious about this, as I don't know alot about post war US kit. Are the two holes in this etool standard for this type/era of equipment or were they added at a later date? Do they have a function?

• 3 weeks later...
Simon Lerenfort
I'm curious about this, as I don't know alot about post war US kit. Are the two holes in this etool standard for this type/era of equipment or were they added at a later date? Do they have a function?

Does no one know?

Simon Lerenfort
What's so special about those? :unsure:

As far as I know the Danish Army sourced alot of original US kit in the 50's. Never seen a Danish Etool with holes in... :think: