M1918 Mark 1 Hat Trick

cwnorma

I have posted many of my trench knives before, but those of you who know me know that for the last 30 years, the Henry Disston Mark 1 has proved to be my white whale... Well, I am Capt Ahab no more:

post-594-0-61946700-1422744490.jpg

post-594-0-15236800-1422744537.jpg

Well done & congratulations! That's a very impressive example of a very elusive knife...

Do you have any idea of how many of these were produced?

Do you have any idea of how many of these were produced?

I do not. There were four contracts for this knife, Henry Disston and Son, A. A. Simonds, Oneida Community, and Landers Frary and Clark. Of the four contracts, only Landers Frary and Clark's contract was not terminated when the war ended. Deliveries from all the manufacturers was to begin in November, and it is thought that Disston, and Oneida were far enough along to have produced a few prototypes or even a limited production run. At most, a few hundred to a few thousand for all the manufacturers besides LF&C.

To my knowledge, to date no examples of the A. A. Simonds knife has ever surfaced.

I'm impressed! HD&S, and an OCL, WOW! SKIP

Skip,

Thanks! I have had the OCL since 2006, but this is the first time I have even had an opportunity at getting a Disston. So of course, I jumped!

BTW, the last time I saw a Disston for sale was 1982-3. I was at a gun show in Tampa at old Fort Homer Hesterly with my Dad. I had just started collecting WW1 and I had no idea what I was looking at. I think I recall the guy was asking something like $550 for it. In those days, I think the LF&C knife was going for about 200-250... I had no idea. Of course, for a High School kid in 1983, that was a lot of money--probably a couple of weeks pay.

So it only took me 30+ years to find this knife.

Chris

Congratulations ! Just awesome and well worth the wait.

Tony

Tony,

Honestly, after 30+ years it actually feels kind of weird that I actually own it!

Chris

Greetings Chris and welcome to the all three club!

My white whale had been the O.C.L. variant and I have seen for sale four legitimate H.D.S. & S. variants for the only one O.C.L., which I was able to obtain. I know exactly what you mean by feeling weird by finally obtaining the missing one.

Cheers,

Lance

Tony,

Honestly, after 30+ years it actually feels kind of weird that I actually own it!

Chris

Congtars. It only took me 40 years to find mine.

Greetings Chris and welcome to the all three club!

Lance,

You Tony and Ponyradish should probably get together and vote me out the first chance you get! They really have let the membership standards slip...

Seriously though, thanks. Now I need to find a new white whale!

...the last time I saw a Disston for sale was 1982-3. I was at a gun show in Tampa at old Fort Homer Hesterly with my Dad...Of course, for a High School kid in 1983, that was a lot of money...

Hey Chris, I didn't know you were from the Big Guava! I do remember the shows at the ol' Armory. Cool place!

GB

Lakeland High School Class of '72

Lakeland Rifle & Pistol Club 1990 - present

Nice. Congrats.

Frank

Thank you! It was in no small part your website that gave me enough knowledge to not get burned on one of the multiple fakes and to know what to look for when a good one finally came along.

I do appreciate it and I (and I'm sure many others) owe you a debt of gratitude.

Best wishes

Chris

Hey Chris, I didn't know you were from the Big Guava! I do remember the shows at the ol' Armory. Cool place!

GB,

Actually hailed from Sarasota (over the Skyway and south of Braden-tucky... But the Armory show was only an hour away and many of my Dad's friends would set up there.

Chris