Huge POW/MIA Medal

Old Marine

I unearthed this at the flea market Sunday morning. This obviously is a medal commemorating the Vietnam POW/MIAs, but I have never seen anything like this.

This medal is huge. It measures 3 inches (75 mm) in diameter and is a quarter inch (7 mm) thick. The ribbon is 32 inches long, (16 inches when doubled) and is the standard inch and 5/8 ribbon used on the issue Vietnam Service Medal. The ribbon is sewn as you can see in the photo so this can be worn around the neck.

On the back is says " BY ACT OF CONGRESS SEPTEMBER 1983". It also has a makers hallmark "EZS TMN"

I included the standard size Vietnam Service Medal in the photo just to show the scale.

I would really appreciate any information or comments as to who made this? Why they made it? Who was it intended for?

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.

Dennis

post-2843-1216050231.jpg

The "Commemorative Medal for Families of American Personnel Missing in Southeast Asia" was approved by amendment to the DoD Authorization Act of 1984 for the 2494 families of those missing in action.

The maker's mark may be "EHS", for the E.H. Somon Company (Simco).

A great effort was made to make presentations to the families, although the actual means varied. In some cases, the local Congressman did on the 4th of July or Veterans Day. In others, I suspect the families declined the medal or tossed it.

it's a shame, I found this in a box of flea market crap. So I think you are right, they just got tossed.

But thanks again for the information.

Dennis