WWII USMC Vet Bring Back Japanese Type-99 Arisaka With Battle Damage

19delta-uav

I haven't been on for a few weeks but I had to take a moment to post this gem I picked up last week. Purchased circa 2010 in MD, this Japanese Type-99 Arisaka was brought back by a WWII USMC veteran from the Philippine Islands. This rifle is complete, all numbers matching, and in great shape... Except for the .30 cal round wedged into the barrel at the base of the bayonet lug. I have a thing for these battle damaged rifles, and being a workaholic living in a big city I have no time to shoot them anyways, so it doesn't bother me that this can't be fired. I'd have to think that many of these battle damaged rifles never made it back as there were plenty of fully functioning rifles laying around that the guys preferred to take back. Regretfully, the seller didn't take down the name of the owner, but is going to try and get me the address of the auction so that I can go back and look at tax records to possibly find the owner. Let me know what you think...

post-3881-0-22812800-1422671486.jpg

ViewfinderGyrene

Lucky find! Wish you luck on tracking down the owner! The stock is beautiful, but can't see the .30cal round very well.

Thanks for posting!

Very nice. Who made it? I'd guess the cleaning rod is not coming out. I looked for a type 99 for several years before finding one. There is just something about them I like. Since then I've found a few more. And another nice thing, they can usually be picked up pretty reasonably.

USCapturephotos

Great find! I especially like the battle damaged pieces and think they will really go up in value in the future. I hope you can get the information on the vet who brought it home.

Paul

Very nice rifle. My WWII veteran uncle had one. He let me take it deer hunting in Hinckley, Ohio

on his farm in 1954 when I was 12 years old. I climbed up in a tree overlooking a buck whet field

before daylight as I knew the deer grazed in that field. Three deer walked out on the field just as

the sun starting coming up. I picked out the buck, put the rifle to my shoulder, and jerked the trigger.

The next thing I remember I was falling down thru the tree branches, and my right foot caught in

a limb. I was hanging upside down about 6 feet off of the ground. I finally got brave enough to wiggle my foot free

and I fell on my rump with a thud. I looked up in the tree, and that damn rifle was still up there. I climbed back up

the tree and got the rifle, climbed back down. I walked across the field and there was only deer tracks, but no deer.

My uncle passed away in 1978, and my aunt gave me that rifle. I sold it in 1992 when I was moving back to Ohio.

Could, woulda, shoulda kept it! :(:wacko::blink:

I have a Japanese Type 2 Paratrooper rifle my Uncle Bill brought home from the Pacific. He served on an Assault Landing Ship. The rifle breaks into two. I loved to play with it as a youngster. He gave the rifle to me back in the 1970's, as well as his WW2 Navy uniforms and a machete he picked up in the Philippines.

Somewhere I have packed away the memo signed by his commander authorizing him to bring the rifle home as a war trophy.