Camouflage Luftwaffe helmet brought back from France

GeneralCheese

GeneralCheese

This M35 DD 3-color camo was brought back from France by Lieutenant Frank Kern shortly after the war ended. The seller, Lieutenant Kern's son, sent me the following information about his father:

I do have some info about my father's service. What I know is not complete, and some details may be incorrect, but this will give you something to go on.
In the 1930's he was in his mid 20's and lost his job during the Great Depression. He couldn't find suitable work so he enlisted in the Army, serving in the
Field Artillery, and stationed at the Presidio of Monterey at least some of those years. 1933-36? They still used horses to pull the pieces, and he often spoke of that. Also his salary, around $19/month. Don't know his highest rank, probably private or corporal.

In 1937 he joined the San Francisco Fire Dept. retiring as a Lieutenant in 1963. He re-enlisted in 1943 and graduated OCS school 26 Aug 1943 Ft Sill Ok.
He is listed as a Platoon Commander for Battery "D" 53rd Field Artillery Training Battalion, 11th Training Regiment at Camp Roberts during Feb 1944
16 April 1945 he is listed as a Fire Mar. (Fire Marshal?) 1st Lt Kern ND35 in an organizational chart of the Northern District HQRS Exact location not
mentioned. Transfer due to prior work as a fireman. His travel path: Boston 3 June 44--England 11 June--London 22 June--Southhampton 1 July--France 2 July--St. Vaast 6 July--Cherbourg 25 July. After this not sure. He did not see active combat but did see some of the sights after the war ended.

The album I have has many photos, postcards etc from London, Paris, Rome, Switzerland. Not sure if he visited all these spots or just collected items from them. Also have photos, newspaper and magazine articles. Also several pages of German documents. I believe he was discharge as a Captain, but cannot
find any evidence in this album.

The helmet is a 1939 dated DD ET66 M35 helmet, with a late-war replacement liner. Enjoy

post-30085-0-94081100-1422670397.jpg

USCapturephotos

I love it General Cheese. Thanks for sharing this find. Having the vet info to go with the souvenir makes it something I would be proud to own in my collection.

Paul

This is how a LW helmet should be, with a double decal and with brown chin strap (LW color) well LW eagle with approximately 90% of the decal .. congratulations.

• 4 months later...