WWII War Effort: Cool History, Hamilton Manufacturing - Two Rivers, Wisconsin

In WWII,Hamilton Manufacturing of Two Rivers, Wisconsin(My hometown) manufactured artillery and rifle shell casings for U.S. War Dept. My Grandfather worked there during the war and eventually retired from Hamiltons.

After WWII, Hamiltons went into building Medical Furnishings. Sadly, this sprawling plant taking 40 acres is now being demolished. I took these photo's just as the demolition was beginning. It is sad to see the place that at one time employed several thousand people and contributed to the war effort in a big way, slowly become a memory

DSCN9103.JPG

DSCN9102.JPG

Here's a few shots from another angle from way back. The one photo shows a time when they were adding on and not tearing down. It has been sad to see this icon of the community slowly depart.

Hamilton 3.jpg

Hamiltons 4.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Too bad it came down completely, thanks for the pictures. Were you able to get any souvenirs from the demolition?

Sadly,I got nothing from the place. My son got a few bricks from the building but, at the end of the day, they're just bricks.

Two Rivers....birthplace of the Ice Cream Sundae!

Best,

Peter

You've been to Two Rivers! Yup, most people don't know that the Ice Cream Sundae was invented here!

Washington house marker.jpg

Here's the building right across from the old Hamilton site where they still sell sundae's next door to where the first one was made. The parking lot behind the building is where Berners Ice Cream shop was. The Washington house has a great local museum with awesome history about Hamiltons, the war effort and all the other great history about this old fishing community turned industrial.

Washington_House_Two_Rivers.jpg

Washington house inside.jpg