Triple CIB Awardee - Arthur A Werner (1924-1998)

bootsandbooks

bootsandbooks
Some highlights from an incredible career. And yes, he is on the Triple CIB list at the Infantry Museum at Fort Benning:
(1999) SERGEANT MAJOR ARTHUR A. WERNER is inducted into the Ranger Hall of Fame for outstanding service to the nation.
He enlisted in the U.S. Army in March 1941 at age 16 and was assigned to the 35th Infantry Washington National Guard in Hawaii. Sergeant Major Werner was at Pearl Harbor when the Japanese attacked.
Afterwards, he was sent to Solomon Islands where he fought the Japanese at Guadalcanal. Promoted to corporal, he led recon patrols and ambush patrols into the enemy infested jungles of Bloody Ridge and Hill 27. For his gallantry in action at Guadalcanal, he received his first award for outstanding courage in attacking a strong point ring of fifty Japanese pillboxes and resisting repeated attacks by an Infantry regiment. This action lasted for three weeks until a decision was made to use a tank to break up the positions. He then volunteered to lead a patrol following the tank to protect its occupants from antitank grenades.
He volunteered to join the famed Merrill’s Marauders for a secret mission behind the enemy lines in Burma. While the 2d Battalion (Marauder’s) were surrounded on the Hill at Phpum ga, he repeatedly led patrols to try and break through and carried some of his wounded men to safety despite being wounded trying to knock out a machinegun nest.
After three years in action in the Pacific war zone, he returned to civilian life in Tacoma, Wa. In 1948, he joined the California National Guard, was promoted to 2d Lieutenant, and later volunteered to go to Korea when war broke out where he commanded a rifle company of the 224th Infantry Regiment in the 40th Division. Discharged from the Army in September 1952, he then joined the reserves.
In 1955, he again joined the active Army as a sergeant. In 1966 he deployed to Vietnam as the First Sergeant of Company B, 2d Battalion, 22nd Infantry where he served two tours between 1966 and 1967, and in 1969, volunteered again for a third tour. After 30 years, he retired from the Army. His awards include CIB with 2 stars, two Silver Stars, one Bronze Star for valor, four Bronze Stars for Meritorious Service, two Purple Hearts, and numerous campaign and service decorations.
photo courtesy Bob Duplechin, Charlie Company 3rd Battalion 22nd Infantry (1965-67)

post-22812-0-62605100-1422593248.jpg

SergeantMajorGray

Definitely a incredible career. I wasn't aware there was a list of awardee's there I'll need to visit there and find my grandfathers name.

bootsandbooks

You are correct sir re the 35th Infantry. I suspect it is a typo and I am ordering his records to confirm The citation was listed on the FortBenning.Army.Mil website but the nomination in the Merrill's Marauders' Association newsletter does not contain that statement.

1SG Werner served all three of his Vietnam tours with the 22nd Infantry

1966-67 Bravo 2/22nd (M) Awarded the Presidential Unit Citation for Suoi Tre

1967-68 Charlie 3/22nd Awarded the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry with Palm

1969-70 Bravo 2/22nd (M)

What a bio, thanks for sharing.

He was quite a stud, love the fact that in that photo he's got an M-14 and the guys in the background have 16's. Reminds me of Plumley's quote "feels like a bb gun"!

Alan

• 6 years later...
Margaret A Haynes

This was my biological father. If he has any other children besides John ( born in 1950) and Mary(born in 1955), please acknowledge.