LTC Saylor Dies at Age 94

ViewfinderGyrene

ViewfinderGyrene

Met Thatcher and Cole at WWII Weekend & Airshow a Reading several times, but never got a chance to meet Mr. Saylor.

Amazingly, Cole still comes!

As I have been sick and off line for several weeks, I am sadden to hear of the death of Lt Col Edward Saylor, Former Commander, 328th Field Maintenance Squadron, Air Defense Command. In late Oct 1966, as I reported to my new commander at Richards-Gebaur AFB, (Nr Kansas City, MO), I reported to Col Saylor, on his last day in the squadron. As I only served under Col Saylor several hours, He was a well respected within the squadron. The was a question of the status of other crewmembers on the Doolittle mission. Col Saylor at the time, was a SSgt, Flight Engineer and Gunner on the 15th B-25 to leave the Hornet , out of 16. Col Saylor as it was only a short time to serve under you, It was an honor. Terry L Horstead

• 2 weeks later...

At our Civil Air Patrol (USAF Auxiliary) Squadron here in Maryland I read the news just prior to the meeting. I talked with our squadron commander and organized within 10 minutes a color guard, Taps, and formation with a brief set of remarks. One of our achievements in CAP is the Doolittle Achievement (cadet senior master sergeant) and I saw LtCol Saylor as part of that....very proud that this was my first act as Squadron 1sgt. Thankful to God for heroes such as him.