Fixed bail M3 Flak helmet

jonesy1275

Currently on sale on Ebay is a M3 flak helmet.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231465680841?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'd been looking at the photos for some time and thought something just didn't look right but couldn't figure out what until now. The bales for the chin strap are fixed. Now I'm no expert on flak helmets but mine has the swivel bales and doing a Google image search only brings up flak helmets with swivel bales.

Is this an early flak helmet or maybe a field modification?

Neil.

thetrenchman1918

to me it does look like a very early one, it looks ok to me, but I don't know if it still an M3 or a prototype model

There is someone either here or on warrelics forum that has one exactly similar, this may be his however when I read his post he stated it was the only one he's seen with fixed bales, I'll try to find the post and link it but if it isn't his then it is only the 2nd I've heard of, not that I've seen every helmet haha

I believe the thought is that the fixed bail M3s are prototypes, or at least early models.

The prototype model was known as the T-2, but I don't know for sure if it was switched to swivel bail before production started or after.

At any rate, this is a great variant for the flak helmet collector as they are fairly uncommon. Good catch!

• 4 years later...
  • 3 years later...

As promised. B24 Officer, PTO. Also note the shape of these early m3’s had a lip like the m1. Not flat like later produced m3’s. Also no flocking.

vr

peg6

A95E73F1-3BE0-4F27-A26F-ADDA2DAEFDF3.jpeg

DDBD7216-FA8E-4135-9747-59946D793995.jpeg

6B62FCE8-44AA-4D0A-BE5B-FFF3CAAD6E7C.jpeg

very rare.

As promised. B24 Officer, PTO. Also note the shape of these early m3’s had a lip like the m1. Not flat like later produced m3’s. Also no flocking.

vr

peg6

On 1/30/2015 at 6:24 AM, ThompsonSavage said:

I know at least one other member here has a FB M3. I have seen his in person.

On 1/30/2015 at 7:12 AM, gitana said:

I believe the thought is that the fixed bail M3s are prototypes, or at least early models.

The prototype model was known as the T-2, but I don't know for sure if it was switched to swivel bail before production started or after.

At any rate, this is a great variant for the flak helmet collector as they are fairly uncommon. Good catch!

On 2/4/2015 at 4:00 PM, jonesy1275 said:

My jaw dropped slightly when I saw the final price. I guess it was a bit of a rarity.

Posted  photos of mine. Makes 3 known.

There you go, that clearly shows you the profile difference between the two both of these are in my collection. It really was an M1 helmet with earflaps and a cut out factory early production.

vr

peg6

BF85485A-42B7-4D5A-857A-3E48354718B6.jpeg

B46C7556-3DB7-4641-9D54-2F29D0076490.jpeg

F7ED2677-2392-46E8-A623-3DC542742393.jpeg

8 minutes ago, gitana said:

Did later M3s not have a lip like an M1? I thought they all did. The M5s didn't have a lip. 

Sweet helmet. 

See above. Early ones did, I surmise they would get in the way of flight goggles. Being the change for front lip. My humble common sense but unknown for sure. And thank you!

I don't think that the documentary evidence supports the idea of an "early" M3.  From what I can tell, these were part of the initial order of 7,500 T-2 helmets.

35c.jpg

t-2-2c.jpg

8 minutes ago, aef1917 said:

I don't think that the documentary evidence supports the idea of an "early" M3.  From what I can tell, these were part of the initial order of 7,500 T-2 helmets.

35c.jpg

t-2-2c.jpg

Well… that would seem to be to be our answer. And that some Of these T2’s shipped and were shipped and used overseas in parallel with field modified / worn m1’s. Maybe issued for overseas testing with certain units even as mine, during the lead up to adopted Model 3, M3 helmet  Production and shipping. Great references. Always new questions / thoughts with good documentation. 

• 3 months later...