Fixed bail M3 Flak helmet

jonesy1275

Currently on sale on Ebay is a M3 flak helmet.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231465680841?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'd been looking at the photos for some time and thought something just didn't look right but couldn't figure out what until now. The bales for the chin strap are fixed. Now I'm no expert on flak helmets but mine has the swivel bales and doing a Google image search only brings up flak helmets with swivel bales.

Is this an early flak helmet or maybe a field modification?

Neil.

thetrenchman1918

to me it does look like a very early one, it looks ok to me, but I don't know if it still an M3 or a prototype model

There is someone either here or on warrelics forum that has one exactly similar, this may be his however when I read his post he stated it was the only one he's seen with fixed bales, I'll try to find the post and link it but if it isn't his then it is only the 2nd I've heard of, not that I've seen every helmet haha

I believe the thought is that the fixed bail M3s are prototypes, or at least early models.

The prototype model was known as the T-2, but I don't know for sure if it was switched to swivel bail before production started or after.

At any rate, this is a great variant for the flak helmet collector as they are fairly uncommon. Good catch!

• 4 years later...

Well just picked up a unit marked one from PTO. So They were early models, not Prototypes... Pictures to follow later.

-Peg6