WW2 Flight Helmet Sizing?

earlymb

Hi all,

I know WW2 US leather & cloth flighthelmets sizes are marked as 'Medium', 'Large' etc. but how does this correspond with actual headsizes? Would a headsize 7.5 for instance fit a 'Large' or another size? I assume the scale/chart is the same for all models?

From my experience, sizes are equivalent to modern. I used to be a size 7-1/2 and needed an XL helmet. I'm a 7-3/4 now and don't know if I will ever fit in one again!

I just bought my first flight helmet, it's a size medium. It fit pretty well on mannequin head with a 56cm head circumference. It's a little snug though, so if you plan on displaying it, I wouldn't go with anything bigger than that (especially if you have a leather helmet). I must admit, I tried it on myself because I was curious to see how well it fit. I wear a 7 1/4, and the helmet was almost the perfect size.

I have size 7.5 and I hope to find an AN-H-15 in the distant future, for my collection mainly but maybe also for 1 or 2 re-enactment events. Would be size if it would fit, so it seems I need to look around for the XL size...

Thanks for your input! :)

I have size 7.5 and I hope to find an AN-H-15 in the distant future, for my collection mainly but maybe also for 1 or 2 re-enactment events. Would be size if it would fit, so it seems I need to look around for the XL size...

Thanks for your input! :)

Do they even make an XL? My AN-H-15 is a medium and it fit fine. I can't imagine a quarter of a inch larger in head size would mean you need that much bigger of a helmet. Maybe a large at most?

The AAF did procure XL sizes. I own an XL A-9. I wear a 7.5 to 7 5/8 hat and have size Large A-11, AN-H-15, & B-6 that are wearable. Sizing could also vary slightly based on the manufacturer & the specific cutting patterns they used. I also have an A-9 in medium that will fit too so go figure. If you need a helmet to fit use the size as a guideline but only decide after trying it on. HTH

Tim

So much for waiting for a good deal on eBay then... :P

I'll have to find one locally and fit it first then. AN-H-15's are pretty rare here though. But I'm not in a hurry.

Is this going to be primarily for display or reenacting? For display on a foam head, medium is the perfect size. Most foam heads run 55-58cm in circumference. For reenacting maybe a large? My cloth helmet is pretty flexible even as a size medium. I'm not sure how snug they are supposed to fit though. Worst case scenario, the large would be a little loose. That wouldn't be a bad thing though.

It would primarily be for display, but I would like to be able to use it in a living history display if needed. Large and Medium both seem to be fairly common, so if a Large fits my 7 1/2 melon I would prefer that over a medium. I understand from all the input there is no fixed standard in sizing, so I will have to fit any example to be sure first.