Purple Heart Document Grouping to Edward L Miller

lax_master22

I recently rediscovered that I had this grouping to Edward Levi Miller who was KIA December 17th 1944. I forgot that I had it and it was only when I was sorting through some of the storage boxes that I found it again. I think that I must have packed it away when the house was being renovated a few years ago.

It's a fairly large document grouping with a bunch of paperwork and what I've been able to piece together from the paperwork in the grouping and some research is that Miller served with the 78th Infantry Division, 309th Infantry Regiment. I've also managed to find that he enlisted in the Army on March 12th 1943 at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. His name is in the casualty lists for the county of Lebanon, Pennsylvania. Miller is buried at the Netherlands American Cemetary.

Given that Miller was KIA on December 17th is it plausible that he was killed during the Battle of the Bulge? Becasue if I'm not mistaken the 78th did take part in the Battle of the Bulge. Any feedback or input would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Jack

post-102552-0-53427400-1422516759.jpg

post-102552-0-70761900-1422516767.jpg

post-102552-0-92985200-1422516857.jpg

The grouping did come with a Purple Heart however it isn't named to Miller, so I don't actually know if it belonged to him. Becasue if I'm not mistake or as far as I'm aware all KIA Purple Hearts were engraved?

post-102552-0-57000400-1422518243.jpg

There is also a large company photo with the grouping and through a bit of trail and error I think I've managed to locate Miller in it. He's the one in the centre of the back row

post-102552-0-41108000-1422518468.jpg

• 2 years later...
AHJTimmermans

Dear lax_master22

My name is Roel Timmermans. I live in the Netherlands. As you might know there is an American War Cemetary in Margraten. The dutch people are able to "adopt" a grave there. This means they take flowers to their Soldier at least twice a year. Christmas and Memorial Day.

This year I visited the family of "our soldier" Joseph B Wadman in his home state Maine. I found out there that Joseph B Wadman was killed on december 17th in Kesternich Germany. Alongside Edward L Miller. They went back through a town that was taken by their hands to get their group of soldiers hooked up again with the rest of the company.

As you migth Imagin I am very interested in the Pictures you might have of the platoon. Please get in touch. I also know who adopted the grave of Edward L Miller so they might be interested to.

Roel Timmermans