VC bring back rifle; not what you'd expect

robinb

Brought home by a member of Golf Co, 2nd Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment, 1st Infantry Division. The DD603 date is 15 July 1970. The rifle is a French CR-39 folding stock paratroop rifle that has had the folding stock replaced with a fixed wood stock.

MVC-095S.JPG

MVC-096S.JPG

MVC-097S.JPG

That's a nice rifle that definitely shows a lot of hard use! It's a not unusual "jungle" repair of the CR39. that I've always found interesting.. Having the doc makes it extra nice as I've had a couple but none with docs.

RichiesRelics

Neat rifle! Goes to show that they used just about anything that they could got their hands on. Thanks for sharing.

That's a great bring back!

This is a (bad) picture of mine. Capture papers still taped to the stock. Yours is head and shoulders neater than mine with the handmade stock. If only it could talk.....

post-125-0-79709100-1422582296.jpg

Very mice. I have a nam bring back that sadly had no paperwork, but is a rusted to hell and refinished German WW2 98K. The sad thing is that as there is no paperwork, its lost any provenance as the guy I got it from got it from did not document it, and so it is only an oral tradition that's where it came.

Interestingly enough mine was brought back by and AF Sgt. with the 621st Tactical Control Squadron based at Udorn, Thailand, from 1969 to August 1970. The paperwork is dated August 20, 1970, just before he returned to the US. How he got his hands on it I have no idea.

Wow, thanks! Interesting. I was scheduled to go to the 620 Tac Control Sq at DaNang - Monkey Mountain, but got canceled at the last minute.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Just shows you what the VC can do. They used everything we throw away or don't use. Nice bring back with the capture paper.

• 2 weeks later...

In a lot of ways it is very typical of actual VC stuff.

They were guerillas and used whatever they could get their hands on or even crudely manufacture.

We would find lots of this stuff in caches as time went on and they got better equipped.

Most all suffered from hard use and the climate.

The French left a great deal of things behind.

suwanneetrader

It is just a shame that as I understand it our G.I.'s get in alot of trouble for even trying to bring home anything. Alot of militaria that is collected once belonged to an enemy from Revolutionary War thru Vietnam was a souvenir bring home. Our Government is worried about belittleing or hurting the feelings of some of the Arab Countries Which Makes no sense to me. :unsure: I thought we were at war. They are looting their own museums and blowing up 1500 + year old buildings and monuments, but a brave US Soldier or Marine gets court-martialed and busted for a $50.00 dagger. Just my opinion If it is out of line I guess a MOD will delete. Richard