Brand new A-14 oxygen mask (heavy breathing)

nreed_94

Hey everyone, I just wanted to share this incredible A-14 mask I picked up on eBay. I recently bought a bare bones AN-H-15 helmet, so I had to buy all of the accessories to complete it. First to arrive was the brand new A-14 oxygen mask. I stumbled upon this on eBay, and decided to enter the bidding war. I was fortunately the winning bidder, scoring this for only $120. For comparison, Bell's Aviation has these listed for $300. The next cheapest NOS masks I found on ebay were $189. I'd call this a steal. The box is stamped DEC 1944. Everything is pristine. It even came with a microphone! Btw, that thing was a total pain to put in, but it was so worth it. I can't believe the price I got on this thing. A few hours later I picked up a set of ANB-H-1 headphones (also brand new in the box) for only $95. This might be the cheapest flight helmet I ever put together. eBay has been good to me this week. I'll post the final photos when I get everything else in.

post-68886-0-81079900-1422397301.jpg

post-68886-0-31860900-1422397550.jpg

Great job!!!! I am also putting together a B17 Gunners head gear set up and had to buy the headphones which were just a little cheaper than what you picked up but mine are not NOS. The A14 I picked up cost me $130 and was made 9/44 and NOS in the box. Congrats on your great score. I was about to put my display up but will let you bask in your glory and post it later this week!!!!

Semper Fi

Phil

Man what a steal! with the microphone is the icing on the cake... I bought several of these back in the 90's none had the mic great score!

I'm definitely starting to like these flight helmets. Usually I'm more of an M1 helmet kind of guy, but with all the different variations of aviation equipment, there's a ton of possibilities. Plus there's something about these that make them look cooler than a regular steel pot

Good buy.........what size mask did you get?? And was it in the heavy cellophane bag when you received it?? The reason I ask is that I am one of the guys that was buying o-mask back in the late 60s into the early 80s.....we bought these things by the dozen and I am always interested in how they appear in todays market. This is not throw "cold water" on your acquisition......but these things were constantly being re-packaged after the war and '14s were still being used (I believe) into the early 60s.....it was a good mask.

The microphone being included really makes me think this was a repackage......nothing wrong with this....actually saved a bit of money and looking.

Regards,

Will

Hey everyone, I just wanted to share this incredible A-14 mask I picked up on eBay. I recently bought a bare bones AN-H-15 helmet, so I had to buy all of the accessories to complete it. First to arrive was the brand new A-14 oxygen mask. I stumbled upon this on eBay, and decided to enter the bidding war. I was fortunately the winning bidder, scoring this for only $120. For comparison, Bell's Aviation has these listed for $300. The next cheapest NOS masks I found on ebay were $189. I'd call this a steal. The box is stamped DEC 1944. Everything is pristine. It even came with a microphone! Btw, that thing was a total pain to put in, but it was so worth it. I can't believe the price I got on this thing. A few hours later I picked up a set of ANB-H-1 headphones (also brand new in the box) for only $95. This might be the cheapest flight helmet I ever put together. eBay has been good to me this week. I'll post the final photos when I get everything else in.

Hey Will, the mask is a size medium. Everything in the box was wrapped in a slightly yellow cellophane. Nothing on the mask had been touched yet. I had the install the microphone and metal strap tips myself.

You installed the microphone on a mint untouched mask ???

Yep...that's exactly what I did, just as anyone who was issued a new mask during the war would have done. I must say, the installed microphone really ties the whole mask together

Its your mask to do with as you wish

Personally ,i would have left alone , but thats just my opinion as i have a thing for "mint in box " ^_^

Personally ,i would have left alone , but thats just my opinion as i have a thing for "mint in box " ^_^

Normally I don't buy new items for just that reason, but the price on this was too good to resist. I also have a NOS set of ANB-H-1 receivers scheduled to arrive tomorrow (Still in the box with wrapping paper and instructions). I'm not sure how all of these new items ended up on the market all at one time. I'm going to end up with a pretty fresh looking helmet setup.

501stGeronimo

I second that!

Here is the progress on the helmet thus far. Just waiting for my ANB-H-1 receivers and B-8 goggles. Anybody have a good method for installing the receivers? I've heard they can be tricky.

And for some reason my photos posted sideways.....weird

post-68886-0-07009400-1422478224.jpg

post-68886-0-32883900-1422478235.jpg

Earphones can be tricky. Be wary not to split the rubber. Some say warming the rubber helps (with a hair dryer or such), others recommend a butter knife to help get it under and into place. Either way use patience and a gentle hand, avoid being too forceful.

Has anyone collected an A-14 with the chamois installed...I have seen photos, mainly the 56th FG using a chamois type liner on the inside of the mask. I have not ever held one in my hand.

I must assume this was a field mod? maybe Brit? but they were A-14's

also as far as the continued use of the A-14... I saw the L-100's (stretched C-130) used by the US Government with A-14s as quick don masks...they had a elastic strap attached, but were USAAF A-14, not even the A-14B...very cool to see...this was in the late 90's

At long last, the helmet is done. My initial attempts at installing the receivers didn't end up well. Despite warming the area with a hair dryer and using soap as a lubricant, a small split began to form on one of the ear cups. I didn't want to risk noticeable damage, so I ended up using a technique I read about in another post. Painful as it sounds, I ended up removing the chamois liners inside the helmet, and installing the receivers from the rear. After that was done, I re-installed the chamois pads, and wired up the receivers. As much as I didn't want to use this technique, it ended up working very well. The chamois liners show no evidence of being taken out, and the receivers are perfectly seated in the ear cups.

post-68886-0-36644900-1422636321.jpg

post-96964-0-98785000-1422636802.jpg

And for some reason my photos are still sideways.....Here is a picture of the back. Can anyone tell me if the wiring looks good? I'm not sure which side the plug belongs on. I can always rewire them to make them correct.

post-68886-0-10328800-1422636681.jpg

post-96964-0-77812200-1422636831.jpg

When you say you removed the chamois liners ?? you mean the thin piece of chamois inside the helmet :huh:

how did you replace it ? :huh:

When you say you removed the chamois liners ?? you mean the thin piece of chamois inside the helmet :huh:

how did you replace it ? :huh:

Yes, the yellow ear pads. They just peeled right out. I was able to carefully tack them back down with some glue after installing the receivers. . It looks like it never even happened. It was either that, or I risk messing up the rubber even more. I didn't want a little crack to spread and become obvious.

Years back I got my first one around 1978.It was $10-$15 and new in the box.Still wrapped in the cellopane.They were pretty avaiable at gun shows and in the Shotgun News magazine.The Surplus sellers had a lot of them all new in the box.

Years back I got my first one around 1978.It was $10-$15 and new in the box.Still wrapped in the cellopane.They were pretty avaiable at gun shows and in the Shotgun News magazine.The Surplus sellers had a lot of them all new in the box.

$15!! I wish they were still that cheap. I think I still got mine for a reasonable price, though you can't beat $15

Has anyone collected an A-14 with the chamois installed...I have seen photos, mainly the 56th FG using a chamois type liner on the inside of the mask. I have not ever held one in my hand.

I must assume this was a field mod? maybe Brit? but they were A-14's

also as far as the continued use of the A-14... I saw the L-100's (stretched C-130) used by the US Government with A-14s as quick don masks...they had a elastic strap attached, but were USAAF A-14, not even the A-14B...very cool to see...this was in the late 90's

Here's one coupled with an AAF C Type with taped cups .

post-151000-0-96509300-1422818754.jpg

post-151000-0-16893300-1422818787.jpg