WWII USMC canteen covers with unis markings

subsystem4

People seem to like seeing these so I figured I would post a couple of recent acquisitions. Guys get nuts classifying USMC canteen covers into all sorts of models and patterns depending on the fasteners, flaps, and funnel holes. These are second pattern covers with LTD fasteners and no funnel hole.

post-2035-0-70168900-1422384715.jpg

ViewfinderGyrene

Great finds, 4th MarDiv UNIIS is a God send to us all! If you would like info on the combat actions of E/25, I have plenty from their CO, PM me :)

Great finds, 4th MarDiv UNIIS is a God send to us all! If you would like info on the combat actions of E/25, I have plenty from their CO, PM me :)

Forgive my ignorance but why are the 4th mar div markings so significant? I'm primarily a Navy collector.

Also the 213 is the ordnance company right?

-Jay

ViewfinderGyrene

I'll have to check on 213, but the significance is mainly because it's the one which is known in full. Documentation survived from the officer who developed the system, but we don't know quite yet if the same system applies to other Divisional Tactical Markings.

For 4th UNIS, 1st number is Regiment, 2nd number is Battalion, and 3rd number is Company. Whether that is true for the other divisions isn't known yet...

I'm especially glad you got the 522 because the Marine had the foresight to put his name on there too!

ViewfinderGyrene

Forgive my ignorance but why are the 4th mar div markings so significant? I'm primarily a Navy collector.

Also the 213 is the ordnance company right?

-Jay

& yes, 213 is Ordnance Company, I was astonished at how many covers that seller had which were UNIS marked! :o

I'm sure it's no secret but Omaha Surplus seems to have a ton of wwii usmc canteen covers and most seem to have 4th div markings. The have 1st, second, and third pattern covers. The 2nd pattern covers seem the most marked. They recently raised their prices on the second pattern covers though.

-Jay