Getting a Photo Unstuck From Glass

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Too Much WW1 Militaria

I have a WW1 picture postcard that is adhered to a piece of glass. Any suggestions for getting it loose without destroying it?

Thanks,

John

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Flash,

Thanks...... That isn't what I want to hear, but....... LOL I wonder if steam will do the trick?

You could soak it in room temp water if it isn't to fragile. Then lay it flat to dry. It may curl up a bit and will have to be pressed for awhile. Photos were soaked in liquid during processing so it shouldn't hurt unless the paper has detieriated.

Found these suggestions here: http://www.scanmyphotos.com/blog/2013/06/remove-photo-stuck-glass-ideas.html

HEAT – Using the low heat setting, take a hair dryer and blow warm air about 4-5 inches away from the back of the print. This heats up the area between the photo and glass and loosened the hold on the photo. We were able to pull back a small corner and then slowly continue the process until the whole photo was removed unharmed but a little curled (nothing putting it under a heavy book for a while won’t cure).

WATER – Soak the photo and glass in water, preferably warm water for a color photo.

COLD – Freeze the photo and glass. Take photo and glass out of the frame and wrap in some newspaper to protect it from damage. Place it in Freezer for an hour, wearing rubber gloves to protect hands in event glass breaks, remove photo and glass from the freezer, and open the paper, gently pull up on corner of photo, it should come away from glass. If it still doesn’t, use a credit card and insert card between glass and photo and pry, gently, very gently, to separate the two. Moisture got between glass and photo that’s why they are stuck together so freezing it make is no longer sticky.

One thing to note is that every situation is different and what works for one person on one photo may not work for another. Personally, I would be comfortable using the hair dryer or the freezer method for amateurs and leave the wet process for the professionals that have experience in a dark room.