VERY COMPLETE D-DAY MEDAL & DOCUMENT GROUPING

stahlguy

Gentleman:

This Outstanding D-Day Grouping came into my possession and I am pleased to have it. It consists of 3 purple heart medals and 1 bronze star medal. 2 of the 3 purple hearts are named and the 3rd is numbered, I'm not sure why he had 3, I know he earned one for wounds in the Africa campaign. I also have his sterling named ID bracelet along with his BS/PH certificates and presidential accolade. The scrapbook contains a few photos, other documents including telegrams to his mother etc.

Wanted to get your opinions as to the 3 purple hearts and thoughts.

Thanks,

Kevin

post-133452-0-63070200-1422296262.jpg

post-133452-0-23230100-1422296265.jpg

post-133452-0-71538800-1422296266.jpg

post-133452-0-45884600-1422296268.jpg

post-133452-0-91481900-1422296269.jpg

post-133452-0-67429900-1422296270.jpg

Wow ! Right as rain on engravings !!! that is an amazing group !

My guess he received an engraved WIA PH then after his death his family received the other engraved PH and BS medal .

What a historic group with all documents !

What a nice grouping, glad it has remained together through the years.

My guess is that the numbered Purple Heart was a North Africa field award he mailed home. I don't recall hearing as much about known and documented North Africa Purple Heart awards to 1st Division GIs as I have about 34th and 9th Division and 1st Armored, but I bet they are out there and that others here who have studied those early numbered Purple Hearts in Africa can weigh in more definitively.

Interesting to see that late Bronze Star award too, most likely a CIB conversion but tough to say with certainty, especially in light of his being a D Day KIA officer.

Anything in the album about any Bronze Star awards?

Thanks Guys!! I did not see anything in the scrapbook regarding the bronze star, there is however a letter about him receiving the purple heart for a leg wound in Africa.

Very, Very nice. With the two engraved Purple Hearts, I would wager that he was married, and one was sent to his wife, and the other to his mother. I'll check the stuff I got from the archives, but I believe there was discussion about what to do about guys that were killed and were recently married, or married without the family's knowledge in terms of awards, personal effects, etc.

Kyle

This would be the centerpiece to any medal collection. Beautiful, historic and everything appears to be in excellent condition! Thanks for sharing!

He was from Lowell, MA. Google "Lt. John J. Shaughnessy June 6, 1944" and you will find information about him and his unit, H Company 16th Inf, 1st ID.

You need to talk with Jordan. H is his specialty and he may know something about the guy

http://thefightingfirst.webs.com/

or you could just look on his website, and click on the link to the entire page dedicated to the Lt, see his photo and records.... But you should contact Jordan who runs it as it would be nice to put some pics of your stuff there.

I'm kind of interested about the three PH's. I see only a mention of him being would once in N Africa, but of course the one sent home should be the heart with at least one OLC. I figure One was a medal pinned on him in the hospital, but then why would it be engraved? And in theory his records would have been consulted when sending the final one home- and they would have seen the previous award and put on an OLC.

Maybe someone can positively ID the engraving styles as to when/where done, or understand how this happened. It's a minor mystery, but I always like to understand Army systems and this just makes me curious.