1/700 USS Jenkins (DD-447)

ArtyScout

Hello everyone. Since I've posted my ground and air models I thought I'd post my seafarer.

It's the USS Jenkins (DD-447). I put it together straight out of the box, with no weathering. I haven't built a ship since I was in JHS. But I enjoyed building this one and I might just build another in the far future, since the near future has other models in the works.

Well enjoy the pics.

Semper Fi.

Manny

post-156853-0-99196000-1422255547.jpg

post-156853-0-33870200-1422255563.jpg

post-156853-0-46882600-1422255574.jpg

post-156853-0-57508500-1422255603.jpg

• 5 years later...

Hello All;

I went back to this model to tweak it. Which means that I added rigging, the National Engsign, signal flags and lastly 1/700 railing. OUCH! I thought 1/350 scale railing was a difficult, try putting on 1/700 on a finished ship. Then of course I put her out to sea. I'm happy with the water but I should have made the hull hole a little wider so she could have sat better in the ocean. In my opinion, too much of the red hull is showing and its not supposed to show. Well I did the best that I could and I still want to share my travesties as well as my triumphs.

Semper Fi.

Manny

post-156853-0-01903600-1585751889_thumb.jpg

post-156853-0-10077000-1585751904_thumb.jpg

post-156853-0-27860500-1585751916_thumb.jpg

post-156853-0-15857700-1585751930_thumb.jpg

Two more for viewing. BTW, my next stop is France, 1940. See you in the World Militaria Forum.

Semper Fi.

Manny

post-156853-0-46575000-1585752000_thumb.jpg

post-156853-0-98051000-1585752015_thumb.jpg

Proud Kraut

Outstanding Manny! The water surface of your dio looks so realistic. Great work!

Looking forward to your next project at the WMF modeling section.

Proud Kraut

That´s a very good idea. Refurbishing or detailing old models and dios during the lock-down. I`m thinking about visiting my attic...

aerialbridge

Man, oh manashevitz--- tremendous tweak. Looks like you buried the hull in your water. That's probably the best water I've seen, how'd ya make it?

Well to start I had to get styro foam and foam board since I had already made the ship with the entire hull. If you have the chance to make it a 'waterline' model do so. It's a lot easier. Once I measured and cut out the foam and made sure the ship looked natural in it then I airbrushed it with a mixture of Tamiya Sea Blue and American Acrylics Deep Midnight Blue. The beauty of the ocean is that you can make it as dark or light blue as you like. Once dried I placed the ship back into place and using Gel Medium (bought at Michaels) and a putty knife I formed the waves, the wake behind the ship, and the sides of the ship going thru water. Make sure to clean any unwanted excess off the hull of the ship. The Gel Medium is like white glue, it starts out white but it dries clear. I let it dry overnight and the next day I had a nice ocean looking display. Next I dry brushed the waves with Tamiya White. I especially made sure I gave the rear wake of the ship a nice dose to make it look like the foam of the ocean being churned up by a ships propeller. From there let your artistic eye take over. I hope this helps.

Hey A-B, thank you for the comments. I had posted this to Lars when I made the USS Oldendorf (Spruance Class Destroyer) for my grandson. To add to this I also drybrushed some Tamiya Medium Blue at the rear of the ship to downplay the white foaming of the churned up wake. For me; I find this technique easier than other I have seen and read about and the outcome so far is great. Good luck.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Hey thanks Dennis. We haven't heard from you in awhile. I guess you've been busy on your next masterpiece. Glad you are safe.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Salvage Sailor

Again, Nicely done, looking forward to more of your projects

Her Japanese made patch from my collection

DD 447 USS JENKINS 006.jpg

DD 447 USS JENKINS 007.jpg

Hey Salvage Sailor; thanks for the comments and especially the ship's historical tribute and great pictures of her. I'm putting the info in my files.

Semper Fi.

Manny