Unknown Cal Joint 77 Tehran Iran patch

Siamundo

Just hoping someone might recognize this. It may or may not even be military. The patch strikes me as Japanese made, but maybe not. It is very stiff. If it is US military related I was thinking maybe US Navy related but that is only a guess. Thanks for any information.

post-2744-0-64210700-1422243453.jpg

Thanks Gil. I agree with the micrometer design it is definitely for some type of shop or repair organization. The grid in the background and the wavy line also makes me think of a sonar graph or something like that. I think the orange design probably represents some type of vessel but I have no idea what it is. As I said earlier, it may not even be US military related at all but I would hope it might be :)

Patchcollector

I'll take a stab and say this could possibly be for a joint exercise or testing of electronic Military hardware of some sort between Iran and the US in 1977.
The US and Iran were pretty tight,and worked closely together before the "revolution"

Nice patch.I like it!

"Joint" could imply a lot of things. It could be "joint" between Iran and the US, or it could be "joint" in that it served more than one US agency or service located in Tehran.

The "77" is intriguing... for 1977? An exercise during that year?

I thought it might be associated with Task Force 77 during the Vietnam War, but why would a unit in the Pacific have its equipment calibrated in Iran? Anything would have been out of calibration by the time it got back to the fleet!

Joint could be general slang for a place as in "beer joint" or "let's get out of this joint" cal joint for calibration shop. Also I think the grid and wave is the screen of an oscilloscope, no idea what the orange thing is. I would look into Air Force support units in Iran before all the unpleasantness began there.

Prior to the fall of the Shah IRAN imported F-14 Tomcats however the Foreign Military Sales Program was under the control of the USAF, not the Navy The CALIBRATION Lab (Precision Equipment Measurement Lab supported both all military operations) My former supervisor CMSGT Andy Anderson that spent a year managing the F-14's with a Navy Advisory Team doing the hands on training. Andy had been home a week when the the Shah fell out of power. The AF operated all IRAN by USAF organizational procedures as requested Iranian goverment.

Terry L Horstead

Thank you for the great information, Terry. I did not know any of that. As Gil speculated earlier, the 77 might refer to a year and that sounds like it might possibly fall in with that late 1970's time line.