• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

WW1 Cast Officer's EGA's , German????

These collar emblems were on a beautiful German manufactured uniform that I acquired several years ago. I personally beleive that these were made in occupied Germany when these guys had new uniforms made. I'm sure that any ornaments were hard to come by, esp. for newly commissioned officers wanting to display their newly acquired rank. These particular emblems still have the German green equipment paint in the recesses and on the back. There is no doubt about the paint being period applied and its' origin. - The pins were frozen and in the attempt to remove them from the uniform for inspection, one broke. This is typical of any cast metal, esp. if poorly done as these demonstrate.

post-3422-1215963490.jpg

"RETREAT HELL.....WE JUST GOT HERE"

LOOKING TO PURCHASE IDENTIFIED WW1 AVIATION GROUPINGS, INCLUDING MEDALS, UNIFORMS, STUDIO PHOTOS.

PURCHASE ANY AND ALL ID'ED WW1 NAVY CORPSMAN OR PHYSICIAN GROUPINGS; MEDALS &/or UNIFORMS.

WW1 USMC ID'ED OFFICER'S GROUPS, esp. MARINE AVIATORS -

ANY LARGE FORMAT 5X7 OR LARGER IMAGES OF MARINE OFFICERS & AERO PILOTS

Collecting/Preserving/Researching WW1 Marine Corps Items and WW1 Aviation Items

post-3422-1215964146.jpg

LOOKING TO PURCHASE IDENTIFIED WW1 AVIATION GROUPINGS, INCLUDING MEDALS, UNIFORMS, STUDIO PHOTOS.

PURCHASE ANY AND ALL ID'ED WW1 NAVY CORPSMAN OR PHYSICIAN GROUPINGS; MEDALS &/or UNIFORMS.

post-3422-1215964265.jpg

post-3422-1215964303.jpg

post-3422-1215964595.jpg

more

post-3422-1215964637.jpg

post-3422-1215964722.jpg

post-3422-1215964771.jpg

Dennis - WOW! Great pics and certainly great new birds to ponder. I personally have not seen these before and can easily accept your theory as to their German origin.

I am still pondering the area of production of the 'sandcast' EGAs previously discussed. I think they were made in Germany but still could be French-made. I also am inclined to believe that they were made by Marines not by local manufacturers, using a M1916 enlisted emblem to create the molds. This is your thread but I'd like to suggest you consider posting a side-by-side of your Officer cap badge with my enlisted one , front & back. Should be most revealing. Hope some other collectors will chime in about them. Semper Fi......Bobgee

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif
"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (Message sent by 1st Lt. Clifton B. Cates. USMC, 96th Co., Soissons, 19 July 1918 - later 19th Commandant of the Marine Corps 1948-1952)

Bob,

Not sure I'm smart enough to play with the images, as you can probably tell. As far as my new topics, threads, etc, please feel free to move ,alter ,edit as you please. If they suite a purpose in a different location, please move them. I'm really a novice with all this USMC stuff, I'm just relentless in the persuit of REAL nice Marine items!! - This should be a fun post. Dennis

With your approval, here's a side-by-side comparison of both of the 'sandcast' EGAs. Clearly made from the same components. Still WOWed that your Officer O/S Cap has the globe upside down to accommodate the right side of the cap. Question is: "Who done them and where - France or Germany? Was your Officer in the Composite Regiment? Semper Fi......Bobgee

Sandcast_ENL_EGA_REV.jpgSandcast_Off_EGA_REV.jpg

Sandcast_ENL_EGA_OBV.jpgSandcast_Off_EGA_OBV_1.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (Message sent by 1st Lt. Clifton B. Cates. USMC, 96th Co., Soissons, 19 July 1918 - later 19th Commandant of the Marine Corps 1948-1952)

wow, nice birds. a shame one is broken, but they're too unique to care too much!

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

"FOR OUR TOMORROWS, THEY GAVE THEIR TODAYS"
RIP
Sgt Jesse 'Jeff Nasty' Balthaser
Sgt John P Huling
Cpl Carlos 'Gilo Monster' Gilorozco
Cpl Stephen C 'Socks' Sockalosky
LCpl Joshua A 'Scottie' Scott
LCpl Jason Lee 'Birdman' Frye
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
LCpl Osbrany 'Oz' Montes De Oca
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

• 3 months later...

Fellow forum members:

You are in the "EGA reference section". This area is were posts from the EGA "discussion section" are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. You will need to start a new post in the "EGA discussion area" which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff

The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps. (General A. A. Vandegrift, USMC, 5 May 1946)