WW1 Cast Officer's EGA's , German????

Belleauwood

Belleauwood

These collar emblems were on a beautiful German manufactured uniform that I acquired several years ago. I personally beleive that these were made in occupied Germany when these guys had new uniforms made. I'm sure that any ornaments were hard to come by, esp. for newly commissioned officers wanting to display their newly acquired rank. These particular emblems still have the German green equipment paint in the recesses and on the back. There is no doubt about the paint being period applied and its' origin. - The pins were frozen and in the attempt to remove them from the uniform for inspection, one broke. This is typical of any cast metal, esp. if poorly done as these demonstrate.

post-3422-1215963490.jpg

Dennis - WOW! Great pics and certainly great new birds to ponder. I personally have not seen these before and can easily accept your theory as to their German origin.

I am still pondering the area of production of the 'sandcast' EGAs previously discussed. I think they were made in Germany but still could be French-made. I also am inclined to believe that they were made by Marines not by local manufacturers, using a M1916 enlisted emblem to create the molds. This is your thread but I'd like to suggest you consider posting a side-by-side of your Officer cap badge with my enlisted one , front & back. Should be most revealing. Hope some other collectors will chime in about them. Semper Fi......Bobgee

Belleauwood

Bob,

Not sure I'm smart enough to play with the images, as you can probably tell. As far as my new topics, threads, etc, please feel free to move ,alter ,edit as you please. If they suite a purpose in a different location, please move them. I'm really a novice with all this USMC stuff, I'm just relentless in the persuit of REAL nice Marine items!! - This should be a fun post. Dennis

With your approval, here's a side-by-side comparison of both of the 'sandcast' EGAs. Clearly made from the same components. Still WOWed that your Officer O/S Cap has the globe upside down to accommodate the right side of the cap. Question is: "Who done them and where - France or Germany? Was your Officer in the Composite Regiment? Semper Fi......Bobgee

Sandcast_ENL_EGA_REV.jpgSandcast_Off_EGA_REV.jpg

Sandcast_ENL_EGA_OBV.jpgSandcast_Off_EGA_OBV_1.jpg

Schnicklfritz

From what I've seen and learned in the past, the pins and catches are the typical style that the French manufactured items have aren't they?

Sweet emblems!