Beautiful Marine Lifer Group on Ebay! Look at these tags!

ViewfinderGyrene

ViewfinderGyrene

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-1942-Dogtag-Set-Attributed-to-USMC-Colonel-3rd-MARDIV-Solomon-Islands-3-/400849664998?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d54807be6

For those of you who haven't seen it yet, his exquisite Alpha Class Blouse is up, as well as as few other small items.

Am I naive for having NEVER seen a Marine Corps DT with a station AND unit listed????? That is just fascinating, can anyone explain why this is the first I've seen?

I would love to keep this group together but my o' my it's up there :unsure:

ViewfinderGyrene

I think I'll be able to save most of the goupr acutally, but Ihave no clue how high that 6th MGBn. patch will go.

Why would the one tag have had a unit designation on it?

ViewfinderGyrene

If I win I guess it'll be my graduation present to myself :lol: I wish the seller would bundle, is he a forum member? The group is so beautiful I thought that it might have come from here...

ViewfinderGyrene

What would all of you value it at? the seller said he would bundle for me, but gave me a number he was thinking which seems unrealistic even for this.

Any input? The seller said 13K to bundle, and everything in the original thread is included....I won't say what I was thinking of offering, but I was rather taken aback. I've seen alot of big groups in my relaitively short time collecting, and only one touched 13K...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-1942-Dogtag-Set-Attributed-to-USMC-Colonel-3rd-MARDIV-Solomon-Islands-3-/400849664998?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d54807be6

For those of you who haven't seen it yet, his exquisite Alpha Class Blouse is up, as well as as few other small items.

Am I naive for having NEVER seen a Marine Corps DT with a station AND unit listed????? That is just fascinating, can anyone explain why this is the first I've seen?

I would love to keep this group together but my o' my it's up there :unsure:

We would all be happy if you did that.

ViewfinderGyrene

I'm sure you all would, as would I be. I've asked in the previous post, I'd like any opinions of what it would be valued at. I have a number in mind, and as you've read in my last post, my offer is quite different than the ideal price the seller sent to me. I do not seek to offend the dealer/seller, but it seems steep to me...

I can see something like this bringing that, especially with the silver star and the history behind it. If you're both happy, I suppose that's a fair price. In my opinion, the most valuable part would be his medals..how often do you see a WWI USMC silver star, especially one to a 6 MgBn officer?? I would imagine it all bringing around $8-$10K. Make sure you get all of the stuff if that's what you're being promised. The first image in the listing seems photo-shopped to me, as you can see the edge of the silver star ribbon, and it seems to be covered by the lapel in the more detailed photo. I haven't had any bad transactions with this seller, and I consider him an authority in the field, however, it just all seems really odd - no more ega's or belt, and a photo-shopped image...plus all of it being split up. He's a good person though and it just has me confused.

ViewfinderGyrene

Well I can say I cannot do anything near that. Most of the MC collectors on here know that I'm young, but I pay good sums when I can.

Is it not better to keep such an amazing group together than to sell everything separate?

If it goes to me it will be cherished, but I say again I cannot offer close to 13K at this point in my life.

I merely want to save it from being split...I have the chance, and I'd like to take it...

I totally understand what you mean. I too am young, and I have nowhere near that much. It's a shame to see this all split up, wishing you the best in keeping it together.

ViewfinderGyrene

I made the connection and I know the dealer as well. I haven't been able to buy anything from him in the past, but he knows I'm young. I wish there was some middle ground. I wouldn't think that this seller would be a splitter either....

It looks to me like he is keeping the medals together ( minus the duplicate China ) , selling one of the 4 patches, some of the tags, and the blouse. I wouldn't be surprised if the medal # on the China being sold is not the number documented in his service record and the other medal's number is. Notice the medal he kept ( # 175 ) is the one that is in the numbered issue envelope.

A lot of medal collectors don't value uniforms, and I am certain the rest of the medals will not be split up. The core of the group looks like its being kept together.

Kurt

It looks to me like he is keeping the medals together ( minus the duplicate China ) , selling one of the 4 patches, some of the tags, and the blouse. I wouldn't be surprised if the medal # on the China being sold is not the number documented in his service record and the other medal's number is. Notice the medal he kept ( # 175 ) is the one that is in the numbered issue envelope.

A lot of medal collectors don't value uniforms, and I am certain the rest of the medals will not be split up. The core of the group looks like its being kept together.

Kurt

Kurt,

You have provided a breath of fresh air to this thread. Thanks.

Mike

ViewfinderGyrene

Never meant for the air to get stale or appear pillish. Splitting is splitting and to me it's personally sad. It's a group or it's not, once it's pieced out the chance or reuniting is next to impossible. That being said, I completely and fully respect Mr. Manifor's choice to sell it however he wants, merely makes me sad, mainly in the case of this particular Marine, of equal rank and incredible career...

Sorry for sounding any other way at whatever point.

Never meant for the air to get stale or appear pillish. Splitting is splitting and to me it's personally sad. It's a group or it's not, once it's pieced out the chance or reuniting is next to impossible. That being said, I completely and fully respect Mr. Manifor's choice to sell it however he wants, merely makes me sad, mainly in the case of this particular Marine, of equal rank and incredible career...

Sorry for sounding any other way at whatever point.

I am going to echo what ViewfinderGyrene said. I think it's sad to see it split up, but in the end, it belongs to LtCol Manifor, and what he does with it is no business of mine. Thank you to Kurt for helping me understand why someone would keep the medals and sell the rest, it makes sense to me now. I apologize if I sounded angry, I was merely confused. I hold LtCol Manifor in the highest regard, and consider him an expert and a dealer of high quality items, so I also apologize if I sounded disrespectful towards him or anyone else. Thank you for understanding.

-Patrick

Leatherneck72

This is a great grouping with great history. Be glad that you have the opportunity to be able to own any of it. Seriously.....You guys need to get over the splitting up of groups. Sometimes getting these groups out of hands of the family means stepping up and paying A LOT of money. Unless you are a millionaire (most of us aren't), this means having to recover some of the money you spent. Call splitting it up whatever you want....a necessary evil perhaps? I love history as much if not more than your average collector. However, over the last 25 years, I have had to split some groups up out of financial necessity. Maybe you get to keep the medals and a patch free and clear, but that's great if that's how it plays out. That is how most of this stuff ends up in collector hands to begin with. When you whine about it on the forum it looks amateurish and immature. Here's another bit of wisdom to the young collector, if you are in separate one-on-one dealings to acquire groupings, that should stay between you and the collector and not blasted all over the internet with prices. That's a one way ticket out of the Circle of Trust. My two cents.

Kurt,

You have provided a breath of fresh air to this thread. Thanks.

Mike

Hi Mike

We all have different ideas of what constitutes "a group". I am guilty of selling some non essential items from piles of stuff I bought before. It looked to me like you were keeping the really important stuff together. I seriously doubted from the beginning that you would ever split up the medals. Most of what you were selling looked to me like non essential duplicates.

I once bought a group to a WWII Marine pilot for a considerable sum with Medals, paperwork, Flight Logs ETC . In his group was a 1930's cap badge. I got $500 for it. It paid for a good chunk of the group. Would I ever part out the Medals, documents, and Flight Log.... never.

Kurt

ViewfinderGyrene

I offer full and sincere apologies to all in this thread. I realize I conducted myself in an unprofessional manner. My views will be kept to myself unless asked of in the future, especially as a new member. Passion got in the way and I didn't think my words through. Overzealous, yes; respectful, no. I will definitely not make this mistake in the future with any other dealer/item/group etc. Making mistakes is part of learning to grow up and act in a cordial manner at all times, but I made an unnecessarily large mistake here. I cannot apologize enough even though the posts are already here, but I will not be so bold in the future.

ViewfinderGyrene

I saw this grouping I think minutes after it was first listed, just happened to be surfing ebay "USMC" at the time, and thought "wow, excellent grouping, its gonna go for big bucks, wish I could afford it" and promptly placed it in my saved file on ebay to watch the fireworks.

For those who are interested here's a great link

http://www.scuttlebuttsmallchow.com/montague.html

Honestly, if I had $13,000 I email Major Manifor right now and Pay Pal him right now to keep it all together and never look back. Too bad I can't. To those of you that think it crazy there was a grouping on another auction a few months ago to a marine officer that sold for over 20K and wasn't even in the ballpark as historically significant as this grouping. Not saying these prices are "fair" or not but there are clearly those out there who can and will pay large sums of money for these high end collectibles. IF any collector needs to recoup losses on a grouping he may have paid a bit more than he wanted or has financial hardship if you just shop around a bit I guarantee you can get excellent money for a grouping without having to part it up.

My humble two cents. Hope someone on here gets this.

Very best!

Bill K.