Proper Wear Of Badge On Oval?

seanmc1114

I'm not really sure if this is the right forum to post this topic, but here goes. I ran across this photo of a Chief Warrant Officer/Aviator assigned to one of the squadrons of the 17th Cavalry Regiment. His profile on togetherweserved.com shows he served with both the 3rd Squadron (3rd Infantry Division) and 7th Squadron (101st Airborne Division) at different times. The oval he is wearing obviously doesn't have tick marks to identify the squadron. Here are my questions:

1. Has anyone ever seen a 17th Cav oval with seven tick marcks to represent the 7th Squadron? It seems like that would be awfully hard to manufacture.

2. My guess is this photo was from his time with the 7th Squadron since he is wearing his Air Assault Badge on his oval. Do any units other than the 101st Airborne wear ovals with the Air Assault Badge?

3. Why would he be wearing a 17th Cav oval but not a 17th Cav beret flash instead of the generic Army flash?

4. If he were to be transferred to the 1st Squadron 17th Cav of the 82nd AIrborne Division, would he wear his jump wings on the oval instead of the Air Assault Badge?

https://army.togetherweserved.com/army/servlet/tws.webapp.WebApp?cmd=Profile&type=Person&ID=93731

post-1761-0-12443400-1422036834.jpg

I can not help you with your question but in my opinion that is one great photo.Its people like him who let us sleep well at night.Thanks for posting it.Scotty

Sean,

Soldiers assigned to the 101st who have earned the bullwinkle badge are authorized to wear the background trimming. However, they are not authorized to wear the beret flash (I still haven't figured out the big brass reasoning behind this).

Just as rdjmchris said,

101st Troops will wear the oval behind the AA Wings. I was told there was someone high up in the 101st who told his Troops, that the AA Wings will override Abn wings on post as long as he's in charge.

Yes, if he went to the 82nd, he'd wear jump wings on the oval and, if the unit is airborne, the flash on his beret.

From the looks of his fruit salad, he's been around!

• 3 years later...

I ran across this picture and thought I would add it to the discussion. Here we see a member of the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment wearing the Air Assault Badge on the oval typically associated with the 17th Cavalry. He was apparently a 19D Cavalry Scout and this was taken around 1985.

post-1761-0-64085000-1523551877_thumb.jpg

1. Has anyone ever seen a 17th Cav oval with seven tick marcks to represent the 7th Squadron? It seems like that would be awfully hard to manufacture.

There doesn't seen to be any tick marked ovals of this unit, as referenced in the Mega Beret topic, this 70s GI of the 1/17 Cav as an example.

4. If he were to be transferred to the 1st Squadron 17th Cav of the 82nd AIrborne Division, would he wear his jump wings on the oval instead of the Air Assault Badge?

I would say yes, as he now would be in a Jump Status unit.

A far as I know the only 17th Cav unit within the 101st to have tick marks was the 2nd of the 17th back in the blue AA beret days.

post-28488-0-91384400-1523622689.jpg

A far as I know the only 17th Cav unit within the 101st to have tick marks was the 2nd of the 17th back in the blue AA beret days.

In this depiction only the flash has ticks, very curious.

post-9154-0-78146200-1408348847.jpg

Very curious indeed. Patches, you know as well as I do that when you have 2 or more Airborne Troops together (and yes AA is a major component of Airborne Doctrine) you are likely to find all kinds of strange things in terms of Background Trimmings and Flashes.

In this depiction only the flash has ticks, very curious.

post-9154-0-78146200-1408348847.jpg

While we are on the subject of the Air Assault Badge being worn on Background Trimmings, has anyone seen or have a photograph of this combination being worn?.

post-28488-0-42478400-1523641606.jpg