Whats up with this Rifle Expert pin?

raylemere

I was digging in my deceased grandpas pics and random things in boxes at my house and i found what i think was his rifle expert pin but it looks odd i mean look at the triggers on the rifles on the pin! They not cut out for some reason idk why? All the ones ive seen have been cut out.

post-155201-0-20425900-1421986173.jpg

post-155201-0-96534900-1421986181.jpg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

I've seen a few variations of the USMC Expert Rifle badge. Some makers place the rifles just slightly higher so that the trigger-guards are just inside the wreath, others like this one don't. I don't think most of the older ones had slings either (I know none of my older ones do). I think this particular version was used alongside the current ones, but probably from one of the other manufacturers. What does the top bar say?

SgtMaddoxUSMC

As far as I know the Army hasn't used this style since the earlier part of last century.. Pretty sure you have a Marine Corps badge here. He may have run into a Marine and they probably swapped 'souvenirs'.

Yes, it is a USMC Only Badge. Slings on the Rifles starting in 1958 Some other things that were in the post 58 badge:

-Slings on Rifles

-Rifles are all M-1Garands

-Marked "RIFLE EXPERT" vs the pre 58 "EXPERT RIFLEMAN"

Semper Fi,

John

thank you all for the help im thinking he might have just bought it for the hell of it and over time it landed in a random box.