1904 Russet Marching Shoes

TrenchRaider1918

• 3 weeks later...
New Romantic

Pretty cool shoes Carl, tough to find!

I've seen the heel plate on a pair of russet shoes in AGM's catalog some months back. They described the heel plate as aiding movement while marching, for drill use. For example, easier swiveling of the heel during a left flank or right flank march. Does the same thing for stationary drill movements.

TrenchRaider1918
Any date in your shoes? I see there's some depot markings on the liner.

Thanks for the info Frankie. I couldn't find a date, but here are some markings inside the shoes:

post-879-1218079967.jpg

Hard to find shoes. Great for early 1900 displays to WWI. I believe the steel plates can just be removed via the screw if you're not going to do some parade marching in them, :D . Ray

• 3 years later...
FlamethrowerGuy

Hello,

US equipment isn't my hobby at all (I collect WW II German equipment), and I'll really appreciate if you - experts - could help me and answer few questions:

Here is what at first glance seems to me to be a pair of M1904 Marching Shoe, but I'm not sure because I haven't found 100% identical boots on the Web. Brown, grained leather, leather sole. The internal white canvas lining seems to be cutted out and removed, only small rests are visible (deep inside the boots). No markings, despite small leather tab with numbers.

1. Are these M1904 marching shoes? If yes, were there any sub-types?

If yes:

2. Is it possible to state the production date of this exact pair? (is it true the production was discontinued in 1917?)

3. The sole nails (hobnails) seem to be quite strange, I haven't seen them in any M1904 marching shoes on the Web. What type of hobnails is that?

4. The leather tab with number, stitched to the inside of the boots' tongues - if applied by a soldier, what do the numbers mean? Is it possible to identify the unit via them?

5. Were M1904 shoes sold by US to any European country? These probably come from France, Belgium or Netherlands or UK (were found in second hand shop)... Just wonder if they got there during WWI or later.

p2190636.jpg

p2190635.jpg

p2190637.jpg

p2190638.jpg

p2190639.jpg

p2190640.jpg

p2190643.jpg

p2190641.jpg

p2190642.jpg

p2190645.jpg