Early USMC Expert Rifleman Badge Help

b_hinch

Not really in my comfort zone on these. I didn't pay much. No markings that I can see, bronze (?). Two-piece construction (wreath and rifles), does that make it early 1920s? Thanks.

post-8602-0-52859900-1421812058.jpg

Nice Badge!

Two Piece Construction is Early like you stated Pre WWI- 1920s.

As far as the Bronze Finish, most of the USMC Ones that I have seen have had the Silver Finish. Hard to tell from the Photo, is the finish silver with bronze badge worn through?

If i remember correctly the us marines used this pin from like i think 1912 to around 1925. I don't remember but i think that's right.

Hi Bryan, I am no expert, but I thought bronze finish denoted ones issued to the National Guard. Happy to be corrected if I am wrong. Pretty certain Marines and army wore silver ones. The early c catch also helps identify it as early manufacture. Kevin

Nice Badge!

Two Piece Construction is Early like you stated Pre WWI- 1920s.

As far as the Bronze Finish, most of the USMC Ones that I have seen have had the Silver Finish. Hard to tell from the Photo, is the finish silver with bronze badge worn through?

That's correct, Fly. It retains some silver finish and bronze shows through.

Hi Bryan, I am no expert, but I thought bronze finish denoted ones issued to the National Guard. Happy to be corrected if I am wrong. Pretty certain Marines and army wore silver ones. The early c catch also helps identify it as early manufacture. Kevin

Hey Kevin, great to hear from you. Apparently I need to take better photos. Silver finish is seriously worn.

Bryan, good with silver wash still present. Pretty sure I have read they were made in bronze for the Guard but with some wash present I think you have a Marine/army one.

Actually Kevin, you might be right. The overall finish appears that it could be bronze. I always thought this was strictly a Marine Corps style.