WWI Silver Star, British Military Medal & Croix de Guerre Group

kanemono

Here is a group to Sergeant Russell J. Conn, Co. A, 107th Infantry who was awarded the Silver Star Medal and a British Military Medal on September 29, 1918, during the operations against the Hindenburg line east of Ronssoy. Conn also received the Croix de Guerre and the New Jersey Distinguished Service Medal. After the war Conn became very involved in Rotary and received the Paul Harris Fellow Medal. He also studied art and became a well known watercolorist. His paintings were displayed in shows and gallery’s throughout the United Stated and Canada. There are several of his paintings with the group.

Dick

post-9487-0-25665000-1421794866.jpg

post-9487-0-50138600-1421794874.jpg

post-9487-0-63346000-1421794881.jpg

post-9487-0-71887700-1421794889.jpg

post-9487-0-71651400-1421794907.jpg

post-9487-0-72879500-1421794918.jpg

post-9487-0-85784300-1421794926.jpg

The British Military Medal to a doughboy is very rare. I have a ww1 DSC group that also has that medal. Those medals given to US soldiers are un-named on the rim whereas those to Brits are named.

What a fantastic grouping congrats :D:)

Any British medal to foreign recipient is un-named (not just US soldiers

in case someone comes upon one down the line and isn't sure :)

This is a fantastic group with the British Military Medal.

I, also have a US group with British Military Medal from WW 2, I got it from another Forum member years ago. (Yea Dave, still got it) The Military Medal is however named. Here are some pictures of the Obverse, Reverse and Named Rim.

post-140407-0-98577700-1421799388.jpg

post-140407-0-23586500-1421799398.jpg

What a fantastic grouping congrats

Any British medal to foreign recipient is un-named (not just US soldiers

in case someone comes upon one down the line and isn't sure :)

Yep...like Bill just showed (ah...what a BEAUTIFUL group that was!!!!!!!!) :love: WW2 British medals were named...just FWIW.

As far as this one that kanemono has....TREMENDOUS! What a spectacular group...and to a really fascinating guy too!

Dave

Excellent group and thanks for posting it. Only 411 British Military Medals were awarded to Americans in WWI according to the War Department's 1923 Annual Report to Congress.

dhcoleterracina

Great group (except the Rotary medal, I heard they're subversive). The award card explains the late issue of the SS. I wonder why he waited so long to request it.

Thanks to everyone for your comments.

Dave, any and all discussion on topics is what makes this forum so interesting. I hope lots of people "hijack" the topic.

Dick

Sweet :D now I've seen it all, named British medals for foreign recipients seen a couple non-official namings but these two definatley look official naming to me :D Thanks for sharing the pieces and fantastic grouping once again :)

Ultima Ratio Regum

That is a neat grouping. The New Jersey Distinguished Service Medal is interesting. Not having seen it before, I thought that someone had re-ribboned it with a USAF ribbon. Looking online at pics though, it is the correct ribbon for that medal, but I'll be darned if I can tell the difference between the NJ DSM and the Air Force Outstanding Unit Award ribbon.

For comparison, AFOUA:

4853__big.jpg

Dick:

What a great group of medals and solid research preserving the man's military record! To me, this really represents the best aspectss of our hobby. Well done and thank you for taking the time to organize and present for our enjoyment.

John