US Model 1917 Attic find!

kilgarvan

Charlie Flick

K:

Rifle looks great. You have brought it back from the dead.

I did not see any sling swivels or a stacking swivel. You will want to add those to complete your rifle, along with a nice Kerr sling.

Regards,

Charlie

Thanks for all the great comments. I'm really excited and happy on how it came out.

The gunsmith test fired it and determined it safe and good to go. Haven't had a chance to get out to the range yet.

Charlie, thanks. There are no sling swivels. If anybody out there has any they'd let go please PM me. Also, what type of sling? Are the Kerr slings leather?

Thanks again

AWESOME!!!

That rifle came out looking exactly as nice as I thought it would. You did a great job getting that rifle back into shape. Very cool.

El Bibliotecario

The Kerr sling is khaki web material.

http://www.armscollectors.com/17sling/

Another appropriate sling would be a M1907 leather sling, although an original would, like the Kerr, be not only pricy, but probably deteriorated. Since this rifle, while wonderfully improved, isn't exactly a mint collector specimen, my solution would be to buy a reproduction M1907 sling for $20 from Pacific International Merchandising or a similar vendor and age it.

I have two M1917 rifles stashed away, both acquired decades ago. One is virtually unfired; the other I reconverted from sporter to original configuration. While not worth as much as the mint example, I think I take more satisfaction in the latter weapon because of my efforts. I hope you feel the same about your good work.

Charlie Flick

Charlie, thanks. There are no sling swivels. If anybody out there has any they'd let go please PM me.

Numrich has parts for the M1917 Enfield rifle:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Rifles-42386/Enfield1917-40098/PartsList-36103.htm?page=1

Both original and reproduction Kerr slings are available. Google 'em up. I would think that for your project a reproduction sling would work just fine.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Lucky 7th Armored

I must say you did a damn good job restoring and saving that rifle! A 1917 is still on my list for my US rifles collection.

Again, good job!!

Haydn

Thanks for all the comments and help to find the proper sling and swivels to complete this rifle.

Once I give it a go at the range, I'll report back!!

Regards to all.

• 3 weeks later...

Got a few more questions here guys. Going to take this out to the range tomorrow. Was planning on using these. Thoughts? It's been test fired and is safe. Just want to use a light load.

post-150849-0-67855100-1443305039.jpg

That rear swivel is not M1917. It looks similar to a M1903 Springfield swivel though I'm not sure I've ever seen an '03 swivel that was marked or had a dimple on the front and back.

I think it may be for a TSMG.