Sweetheart wing Information wanted WW1 style

268th C.A.

Hello fellow wing nuts out here, I have what I believe to be a WW1 style sweetheart wing, its marked sterling silver "With Love" the pin opens 3/4. I picked it up at a local auction several years ago. "cheap". Does anyone out there have one, seen one or have any information on this one. What might be a close value? Amateur wing collector who knows enough to be dangerous. I have some good reference books but none of this wing. Thanks for your help & comments. David

post-87654-0-18542400-1421695604.jpg

Nice WWI era wings David. The quality inscription on the back certainly adds desirability to your wing. There's a recent thread in this wing section entitled "Small WWI era US Air Service wings" which has illustrations of similar two-inch Robbins style badges you might check out as a reference.

Regarding the value of your piece, I suggest listing it in the "What's It Worth" thread located in the "US Militaria Discussions" section above. I believe your inquiry will receive more attention in that area of the Forum.

Ditto with what Russ says. But I think that these wings may actually have been made well into the late 1920-1930's time period. I seem to recall seeing one that had a 1926 date engraved on it).

They seem to be relatively common, as I see them show up on Ebay periodically. My sense is that they broadly fall into the 150-300$ range. Not a bad price for collectors!

268th, wings nuts, hadn't heard that one before. :)

Pfrost- Could sometimes an engraving be from an earlier wing that was bought sitting on a shelf in a store for awhile,

or from a wing handed down from father to son....or something similar?

Thanks-

Jay

Jay, I am sure that is possible.

Still, I know that they (Robbins) were making these wings well after WWI. Here is a New England Airlines wing that uses a gilt version of the WWI Robbins wing for the base of a 1930's vintage NEA pilot wing. I'm sure they had these things available from WWI all through the 20's and 30's to who every wanted one.

Aviation was very popular at the time and there was a great deal of interest in all things that flew. I suspect that if someone wanted an "olde thyme" style wing they were available.

Patrick

post-1519-0-89227200-1421707691.jpg