Custom Picture Framing

80thdiv313fa

80thdiv313fa

Does anyone know who makes or where to get a custom made picture frame. I have a two WWI yardlong photos that need to be framed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi,

Sure, it is relatively easy to find a place to get it customed framed. There are usually a couple places around where ever you live that do custom framing. A couple semi-big chain stores I know of that offers the service is Rose's and Michaels.

There are many smaller shops where thats all they do is custom framing. There is a custom frame shop near me that I took some of my militaria items to have framed.

You can use the Yellow Book or Yellow Pages to look up custom framing shops near you. I found 408 custom framing shops across Maryland, they are out there.

Yellow Book: http://www.yellowbook.com/

Yellow Pages: http://www.yellowpages.com/

Hope this helps!

- Jeff

Laury Allison

My Dad had my Grandfather's WWI picture done. It had been rolled up for at least 80 years. It had a good bit of damage, which they were also able to repair. They framed the original one, plus made a copy and framed it too. I think the total cost was around $100 for everything.

Laury

I have a couple that need framed also. I talked to the folks at HOBBY LOBBY and they can do it. The cost is around $100, but they recommended waiting for a sale and then it is 50% off. They can do archival mounting and UV glass also.

Croix de Guerre

The one thing you got to keep in mind when you’re talking of framing a WWI era yard long is that if it has been rolled up and you unroll and have it framed with out "re-hydrating" it, it will crack from its own weight. Those WWI yard longs are almost 100 years old and have dried out in that rolled position. You need to reintroduce moisture back into it before you frame it. I think there was a thread on this forum on how to do it. I will look and see as I have a few myself that I would like to frame but have put it off until I learned how to do it properly. It has to do with building a sealed plastic box with a grid suspended over water that allows the moisture to permeate back into the photo.

80thdiv313fa

Hey thanks for all the responses guys. Croix de Guerre I found the post you were talking about. Thanks for letting me know since one of my yardlongs does need to be unrolled. Here it is UNROLL YOUR YARDLONGS

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to do it yourself, I recommend picturefrmes.com thy have a wide variety and price points. I've used them in the past.

80thdiv313fa

Just wanted to show everyone I picked up my yardlong from the local craft store chain called Michaels. They did an awesome job and quality work. I would highly recommend them if you are looking to have a custom frame done. Here are the pictures the photo is of the 320th Infantry at Camp Lee, Va.

I was just going to suggest Michaels. We have them here in Canada and I have had them do some military art.

I have about three or four that are going there in the next few weeks...pictures will be posted when done.

Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

This is a warning to anyone who wants anything framed as a way to preserve something.

Framers mount things with tape, usually a heavy white fabric tape. Since the frame is sealed most framers don't worry about it, and constantly frame fragile & valuable objects with this tape knowing the owner wants to preserve the item. Even if the framer says they won't use it, insist on watching the framer place the object in the matte.

I worked in different archives and libraries over the years, and I've had to disassemble many framed items to discover this tape. And I've been to a framing class where framers are instructed on legal procedures to protect themselves.

Also, if you want a regimental picture safely flattened, it may involved time in a humidity chamber.

John

Does anyone know who makes or where to get a custom made picture frame. I have a two WWI yardlong photos that need to be framed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

• 2 months later...

Some craft stores (Michael's, etc) offer pre-cut frame parts -- you can buy matching sides and assemble them yourself. This may not be big enough though.

Some lumberyards/box stores offer picture frame material you can (have) cut to size. Then the only chore is the backing and glass.

G

I have used:

http://www.framesbymail.com/

to frame up several WW1 vintage (e.g. Russian civil war) unit flags. The cost of getting a full sized flag was prohibitive from most normal stores ($400+) so an $80 frame from them normally fit the bill. And, I'd get to frame it myself, so I knew how it was framed.

These are very similar to the frames that I rescued from a major museum when they cleared out a lot of their older frames...

Dave