VIETNAM POW-GOVERNOR JOE KERNAN

BEAST

Several years ago, when I worked for Department of Veteran Affairs, our hospital was participating in a POW/MIA commemoration ceremony. I volunteered to assist by setting up a display. Our (then) Lt. Governor, Joe Kernan, had been a POW in Viet Nam, so I reached out to him to see if he had anything we could use for the display. I received a call from the LT. Governor saying that he would be happy to help. By the time of the display, Indiana's sitting governor Frank O'Bannon passed away and Joe succeeded him as Governor. Even with his new responsibilities, Governor Joe still kept his promise and let me borrow his POW uniforms. After the display, these were returned to the governor and some are now on display at the Indiana War Memorial.

post-203-0-05034800-1421682408.jpg

Joe Kernan after his release

Kernan entered the United States Navy in 1969 and served as a naval flight officer aboard the U.S.S. Kitty Hawk. In May of 1972, Kernan was shot down by the enemy while on a reconnaissance mission over North Viet Nam.

He recalls the sensation of sunlight flooding the cockpit after he pulled the cord to bail out. He blacked out from the force, however, and doesn't remember anything about the fall. When he regained consciousness, he was lying in front of a hut, surrounded by villagers -- mostly boys, women and elderly -- many of them shouting.

Stripped down to a T-shirt and undershorts, he was blindfolded and ushered away, likely by members of a local militia, and ended up hours later in the town of Thanh Hoa. The next day, Kernan was driven to Hanoi, to a prison the American POWs called "The Zoo." He spent the first month isolated in a 12-by-12 feet room. He was interrogated, but not severely, being lucky in age, rank and timing in the war.

He ate what he was fed. For most of the first nine months, it was pumpkin soup, twice a day. Just pieces of pumpkin boiled in water. Sometimes there was a side dish -- a piece of pork fat or fish heads or soybean cake. He was held as a prisoner of war for 11 months.

On Feb. 12, 1973, Kernan and the others knew a peace deal was real when they saw American C-141 aircraft flying into Hanoi. On March 27, Kernan was in the last group of POWs picked up to go home. Kernan was repatriated in 1973 and continued on active duty with the Navy until December of 1974. For his service, Kernan received numerous awards, including the Navy Commendation Medal, two Purple Hearts and the Distinguished Flying Cross.

Kernan came home with two sets of pajamas, a long sleeve and short sleeve version:

The long sleeve shirt with trousers

post-203-0-52327900-1421682893.jpg post-203-0-37795100-1421682816.jpg

Kernan wearing the long sleeve shirt in captivity

post-203-0-91984400-1421683205.jpg

Very nice display!

Matt, the Indiana War Memorial has done an incredible job of transforming itself since I first went there in '80s. The quality of their displays continues to improve with each new exhibit.

• 5 years later...
Brian Dentino

Indeed.  Met him a couple of times when he was the Mayor of South Bend.  Great guy and very personable and friendly.  We lost a good one when he passed.  RIP Hoosier!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your kind words! Looking through files on my computer, I did find one more of interest.  It is a photo of Kernan's Squadron aboard the Kitty Hawk.

279705517_joekittyhawk-color-web.jpg.238b3b4f2dadc4dee47f20aac8037524.jpg