FLYING TIGERS AVG 3rd Squadron Chinese Silk Banner

aerocollector2014

aerocollector2014

Recently acquired this rather nice AVG Chinese silk banner .

Thought I would share , and hopefully also get an idea on its realistic value, as Not a 100% on its present value as these banners seems to vary in price somewhat !!

Anyway hope you like .

Thanks

Steve

post-155446-0-41977200-1421677656.jpg

Patchcollector

Just wondering.Would this be a display piece,or perhaps a scarf or handkerchief?What are the dimensions(size)?What is the insignia in the top left?

aerocollector2014

its pretty large about 34” x 28” .

similar but unnamed and undated one on Flying Tigers website. its 3rd squadron, the badge on the left is the crest of the RAF.

George R Bailey was one of the original members of the flying tigers

http://www.flyingtigerantiques.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=fta&Product_Code=0u79avga20000ftb-CON&Category_Code=02AVG

aerocollector2014

condition is as in first post. The picture of the rear ,was taken by the original seller before I acquired it. As you can tell no harm done , its a stunner !! :-) really needs framing up for display as colours are beautiful in it.

Patchcollector

its pretty large about 34” x 28” .

similar but unnamed and undated one on Flying Tigers website. its 3rd squadron, the badge on the left is the crest of the RAF.

George R Bailey was one of the original members of the flying tigers

http://www.flyingtigerantiques.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=fta&Product_Code=0u79avga20000ftb-CON&Category_Code=02AVG

Thanks for the info.I thought the insignia at the top left looked British.It's a magnificent piece for sure!I agree,it would look awesome framed!

Lovely piece, congratulations. However this is a non-specific 'Squadron' item in my opinion, it is an overall AVG banner. In any case it is definitely not a 3rd Pursuit Squadron, AVG item.

I have done research on the AVG and George Bailey was a crew chief in the 2nd Pursuit Squadron ("Panda Bears"). This was Tex Hill's squadron, incidentally.

Click link: http://www.flyingtigersavg.com/index.php/rosters-of-the-avg/59-roster-3

RE: the idea of one of these being for the 3rd Pursuit Squadron because of the RAF insignia, I respectfully disagree. Reasons:

1) The 3rd was not acually the only AVG Squadron that flew combat alongside the RAF in Burma.

2) The banner shows the most easily recognisable symbols of three countries' worth of air forces- it's a symbol of being allied together.

3) To be really technical, each squadron of the AVG served alongside the RAF in Burma, before any bullets started flying.

As a general note the 'Disney Tiger flying through a V-for-Victory' was not used right from the get-go with the AVG. It's presence indicates a later time frame in their history than 1941.

Just wondering.Would this be a display piece,or perhaps a scarf or handkerchief?What are the dimensions(size)?What is the insignia in the top left?

That is an RAF isnginia

I owned one of the only known marked 3rd pursuit squadron banners in existence ten years ago.The banner turned up in Iowa and was in near mint condition.When my computer crashed 5 years ago it ate my saved photos.I will try to get the owner of it today to send a scan to me of the banner.The banner was the same format as the one shown but the Tiger and the V the tiger jumps out of was much larger.There was no British insignia on it at all but on the lower arm of the V was 111 in roman numerals then Pursuit Squadron in large letters.It like the one that started this thread was one of the most beautifully embroidered pieces of history I have ever seen.Aerocollector thank you for taking the time to show us your treasure it is a true piece of WW2 Aviation history and the center piece of any collection.Scotty

• 3 weeks later...

The man who owns the 3rd Pursuit Squadron AVG Banner sent me a scan of it and as promised here it is.These banners are so rare and so neat that one hundred years from now they will still be in collections.Anyone who has the pleasure of being the caretaker of this much history should be proud.Scotty

!cid_A3E6D861-844E-4BFD-AFBF-02E427C45097@domain.jpg

Thanks it was a beauty and a pleasure to own for a while.What they do with silk on all of their banners is truly amazing and the one that started this thread is a testament to that.Scotty