Chinese medal

Tom Pearcy

This medal was given to my uncle (US troops) by the Chinese government under Chang Kai-shek. He said it was for their service in defense of China. At the time, my uncle was with the 613th FA, 124th CAV, Mars Task Force. They used pack mules to haul artillery up into the mountains. I took the medal down to a local Chinese restaurant to get it translated. I was told that the shape of the medal is that of an anciet Chinese weapon. The characters on obverse/reverse (both different) means "victorious" (loose transtlation). It looks like a keychain more than it does a military medal and for that reason some may have passed on it. Has anyone else ever seen one of these or have anymoe info on it?

post-244-1170174626.jpg

The design of this item is an ancient form of Chinese money . The form this one takes is a " spade " or shovel . If you search google using : China ancient tong money ... you will find some sites.

Kurt

The 124th Cav RCT was a great outfit.

Tom, do you know if your uncle had the white, red and black ribbon on his ribbon bar, supposedly the "China Liberation" ribbon?

My unlcle lost his uniforms a long time ago. I do not know if he got one of thoes ribbons. I am looking for a single or pair if DUIs for the 613th FA. After his time in China, he was stationed in Japan with MacArthur's Headquaters. I have his GHQ DUIs. That's all of his insignia he had left. Do you have any insignia, ribbons etc. from the 124th? I would like to see what they look like.

Do you have any insignia, ribbons etc. from the 124th? I would like to see what they look like.

No, unfortunately.

The 124th Cavalry originally wore the SSI of the 56th Cavalry Brigade; apparently they were not considered a component of that after leaving the states so I guess they wore the patch of whatever army or corps they were under(?)

• 3 weeks later...
No, unfortunately.

The 124th Cavalry originally wore the SSI of the 56th Cavalry Brigade; apparently they were not considered a component of that after leaving the states so I guess they wore the patch of whatever army or corps they were under(?)

If I recall correctly, the 124th was attached to the Mars Task Force, successor to Merrill's Marauders. Would have worn CBI Theater patch and MTF.