Summer flight headgear from Unbroken

nreed_94

Hey everyone,

I'm sure most if not all of you have seen Unbroken by now. I had a question about the headgear worn by Louis Zamperini during his time as a B-24 bombardier. In the movie, Zamperini is not seen wearing a flight helmet, but instead a garrison cap with a pair of ANB-H-1 headphones. When searching around for B-24 bomber crew uniforms, I usually see the typical summer flight helmets or crusher caps. Does anyone know off hand if this garrison cap and headphone combo was common in the pacific theater amongst B-24 crews? I've yet to find a period photograph showing the same set up. Maybe this is just Hollywood trying to put together a cool looking flight outfit?

post-68886-0-61901500-1421598611.jpg

post-68886-0-05838900-1421598905.jpg

Those who seek authenticity in aviation movies are nearly always disappointed for one very simple reason: oxygen masks cover faces and actors want face time. Sort of strange actually that the people making these movies invest heavily in historical accuracy on every aspect save this one. I haven't seen the movie but the B-24 wasn't pressurized nor was it heated. If they were flying at any altitude, they would need to be dressed appropriately, and using oxygen masks.

Going through some of the B-24 Group histories I have you'll see all kinds of combinations including the ones in the images. Remember the altitudes they flew in the Pacific were lower than the ETO. One image shows a 24 pilot with an oxygen mask on but no shirt while in flight.

There are others with guys in A-2s, garrison caps and Mae West. Then there are the classic look with crushers and headphones.

Remember too that guys took flight bags with extra gear so that they might start with a cap and as they got higher they would switch to a helmet and mask as well as warmer clothing.

A long winded way of saying I think the movie fliers look just fine :)

I have seen plenty of photos with guys wearing crushers and headphones. A lot of the pictures I came across of B-24 crews usually had the officers wearing visors with enlisted wearing overseas caps. That's why I found this to be a little bit strange when I first saw it.

This is a pic and and my avatar The gent in the back in the middle with the killer mustache is Lt Fioretti the pilot of my Uncle Joe's(Tailgunner) B17 with the 384th bomb Group, 545th Bomb squadron stationed in the UK..

This photo is just after there mission in May of 44 on the B17 Damned Yankee II. I call the movie set up legit!

post-11740-0-20638300-1421652528.jpeg

This is a pic and and my avatar The gent in the back in the middle with the killer mustache is Lt Fioretti the pilot of my Uncle Joe's(Tailgunner) B17 with the 384th bomb Group, 545th Bomb squadron stationed in the UK..

This photo is just after there mission in May of 44 on the B17 Damned Yankee II. I call the movie set up legit!

attachicon.gifFioretti.jpeg

Awesome photo!! Especially since you know the story behind the man in the photo.

Wow, that Memphis Belle photo is great! I take it that this was probably only used during low altitude missions in warmer climates (or among B-29 crews because of the pressurized cabins). I've been hearing a lot about how uniform standards among flight crews was really up to the discretion of the individual.

No these were worn in the high altitude bombing missions. My Uncles crew and those of the Memphis Belle were in the ETO stationed in various places in England. So it was not considered a warm climate area.

Semper Fi

Phil