"American Sniper"

David D

My wife & I enjoyed it very much today. I highly recommend it.

Went to the 1PM show in Aberdeen NC & there were probably over 100 people there, which is about 90 more than I usually see at that time on a Friday.

I thought it was well done. Even going into the movie knowing the background, the ending was still hard to take. Thank you all the served or are serving our country.

• 2 weeks later...

Just like a funeral when it was over. Almost more than I could take.

That sums up the movie very well, Garandomatic. At the movie's conclusion, I gasped. It stunned me so much I couldn't even cry.

I applaud his wife's bravery for sticking with him.

The gear was very well done. The helmets were spot on for OIF/early OEF equipment. The insignia was very well done, and the tactical movement impressed me. They had some good military advisers on that set...

Great movie! This movie is out performing anything other movie at the box office by far. I can't believe that it didn't get more awards, only nominations. Heck, I guess I am not really surprised knowing the history of the academy.

Great movie! This movie is out performing anything other movie at the box office by far. I can't believe that it didn't get more awards, only nominations. Heck, I guess I am not really surprised knowing the history of the academy.

Not surprised either. Why would the top grossing war movie in history get any awards from this bunch? It just shows how detached Hollywood has become from the average American.

Great movie...real message.

Patchcollector

The way I see it is this;there can be only one winner amongst a bevy of decent movies.Just the fact that "American Sniper",and "The Imitation Game" were "rubbing elbows" with the "top shelf" offerings shows me that a well made War movie can more than hold it's own here in the US.I would have liked to see "Unbroken" in there too,but as the old saying goes,"Two out of three ain't bad" :)

The way I see it is this;there can be only one winner amongst a bevy of decent movies.Just the fact that "American Sniper",and "The Imitation Game" were "rubbing elbows" with the "top shelf" offerings shows me that a well made War movie can more than hold it's own here in the US.I would have liked to see "Unbroken" in there too,but as the old saying goes,"Two out of three ain't bad" :)

Well said. A good way to look at it, and I agree completely!

JD

Kurt Barickman

Yes I stayed up late last night way past my bedtime only to be disappointed by the whole award thing; just another joke to these clowns making the judgments for the awards.

Nuf said.

Kurt

Patchcollector

I was watching Fox news today and a guest said something that resonated with me.I'm paraphrasing,but here is the gist of what she said."The award ceremonies are quickly forgotten,but the movies stay in our memories" ;)

I was watching Fox news today and a guest said something that resonated with me.I'm paraphrasing,but here is the gist of what she said."The award ceremonies are quickly forgotten,but the movies stay in our memories" ;)

How true. Like the Nobel Prize the Oscars have strayed from accomplishment to a popularity contest amongst the judges.

Just back from the theater. This is a great movie, I really enjoyed watching it. The last scene and the real footage of the funeral are hard to see, really a sad moment. RIP Chris Kyle

Patchcollector

Been looking forward to watching this.Thinking to go see this movie tomorrow with my son.I'll post my impression of it afterwards.

Patchcollector

Well my son and I took in the movie last night,and as promised,here's my take on it.First off,we both liked the movie.Eastwoods' superb directing (as usual) coupled with some great performances by Bradley Cooper as Kyle and Sienna Miller as his wife Taya made for a memorable movie.

I can't say that I found the movie "entertaining",in the usual sense,but having stated that,it does have some scenes sprinkled here and there that made me smile.What it is,IMO,is a somewhat gritty,matter-of-fact telling of one War Heros' journey through both worlds;the violent,chaotic
unforgiving war zone vs the more peaceful laid-back home front.Eastwood did what he could to tell this complex story in the time allotted,so don't expect a detailed storyline but instead be prepared for a docu-drama that flashes in and out of the various aspects of Kyles' life.The war scenes were well done,not over the top.The firefight during the sandstorm was particularly intense,and had me gripping the arms of my seat!
Chris was a "Soldiers Soldier",helping his fellow Vets both on and off the battlefield,and Eastwood did a good job in getting that across.Of particular interest to me was how Eastwood brought forth the motivation that drove Kyle,both in war and in peace,to be the "Sheepdog" type personality that he was.

As others have stated,the ending was sad and left the audience silent.I had tears in my eyes as I watched the final scenes and I know I wasn't alone in my sentiment.

I recommend this movie to all my fellow Forum members.

I took my father and son to see it this weekend, that's three generations ranging from age 16 to age 85. We all thought it was a very good film, well worth seeing at the theater (some movies are just as good on an HDTV, but this is a big screen movie).

I don't think I've ever before been to a movie where there was stone silence as the movie ended and the audience left.

awesome movie.

bob, same here- only other time i have been to a movie and the audience was stone silent: Schindler's List.

The wife and I went to see this on an early Sunday matinee, and I'm glad we got there 1/2 hour early or we wouldn't have gotten to sit by each other in the theater. I went to get the seats...she went to get me a large popcorn sprinkled with junior mints and a soda...and by the time she came in I had to say "so sorry" to two people who wanted her seat. I can't really add anything to any of the other comments, only reaffirm that the ending was a real heartbreaker and there was complete silence as people left the theater. (and that was after EVERYONE in the theater sat through all the credits) It was quite an amazing moment, and filing out through the people waiting to go into the next showing was a bit uncomfortable because they were all looking at us to see what our reactions were on coming out. It really was like leaving a funeral.

Eddie Ray Routh has been found guilty and handed a life sentence.

Yeah, and with no insanity circumstance! Straight Murder verdict. This assures he'll see hard time. An emitional disorder is NOT insantity.

My wife and I also just saw the movie and I had to hold back the tears watching all the supportive onlookers during the funeral procession. It was such an inspiring moment to see so many people paying their last respects to the motorcade. The only other time I saw something similar to this was during Reagan's funeral motorcade. Awesome moment!

The gear was very well done. The helmets were spot on for OIF/early OEF equipment. The insignia was very well done, and the tactical movement impressed me. They had some good military advisers on that set...

Yes they did... Personal friends of mine and damn fine dudes!

Patchcollector

My wife and I also just saw the movie and I had to hold back the tears watching all the supportive onlookers during the funeral procession. It was such an inspiring moment to see so many people paying their last respects to the motorcade.

Yeah I noticed alot of people wiping their eyes as they left the theatre,myself included.I thought it was a great tribute by Eastwood to include the actual funeral footage at the end.

• 1 month later...
navycollector

For any of you interested I noticed that the dvd of this movie is being released in stores in a month I think May 19th is the release date for stores.

• 4 weeks later...
vostoktrading

I saw the movie and then read the book. I liked them both. If you want to read what Chris wrote about "Scruff Face" (his encounter with a former SEAL who was once a Governor of a US State), be sure to get a first edition of the book. Subsequent editions had that part removed.