VN Pilot's Kneeboard

hink441

Found this Kneeboard at the local gunshow today. It has a map from VietNam I believe. It also has a dated (1966) checklist for the O-1E/F aircraft. I think this is a FAC pilot's Kneeboard from VietNam. I hope someone can Id the areas on the map.

The checklist is labeled as "2 A. D." O-1E/F checklist. What is "2 A. D." ?

Here is a few pictures.

post-10825-0-87520000-1421537859.jpg

2 A. D.

2nd Air Division, I would guess.

Per wikipedia:

The 2d Air Division was organized in Saigon in October 1962 under the authority of the Military Assistance Command, Vietnam. Until the build-up of American forces in 1965, the 2d Air Division provided air support to the forces of the Army of the Republic of Vietnam. Originally, the unit consisted of propeller-driven aircraft, but the build-up in US forces saw the arrival of jet aircraft and, by the end of 1965, the US had deployed nearly 500 US combat aircraft in South Vietnam.[1] By the time the unit was transformed into the Seventh Air Force on 1 April 1966, it consisted of nearly 1,000 aircraft and approximately 30,000 personnel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2d_Air_Division

It is not unusual for local units to develop their own operating procedures, especially if the Air Force standards were incomplete or did not cover situations being encountered in the local area.

Thanks for the info on the 2nd Air Division. That sounds like a match.

The map itself is cut and pasted together and therefore does not have the header at the top of the map. The map is is labeled "Trung Phan" and "Tinh Binh Dinh" in a few places. I now believe this is the Tinh Binh Dinh province in what was South VietNam.

Chris

Hi Chris,

the road on the map is the QL 19 that drives from Qui Nhon to An Khe. Binh Khe is half way between An Khe and Phu Cat.

Best, Croc

The symbols on the map could be 1st Bn 26th Marines, this BLT operated in II CTZ during august 1966 when under Special Landing Force CTG 79.5 aboard USS Iwo Jima

Best