Surplus find! ACH/MICH helmet with DCU cover!

Hunter Whittaker

Hunter Whittaker

Hi I just joined this forum! I found his helmet at a surplus store last weekend digging through a crate that a soldier brought in! I also bought his holster, neck gator, PC cap and DCU jacket that had its bottom pockets removed and sewn to the arms. There was lots of stuff he brought in but unfortunetly I couldnt spend anymore money lol he even had brought in his woodland Camo plate carrier. I will try to post more pictures but I have a limited amount of posts that I can today.

What a great little grouping. I would strongly encourage you to go back to the store and get as much of the grouping as you can afford.

Hunter Whittaker

Thanks guys I appreciate your input! I did end up going back to the store and I bought the soldiers plate carrier, pouches, another DCU jacket with the sleeves sewn on the arms, and his camel bak!

post-157121-0-77316900-1421611842.jpg

post-157121-0-56611800-1421610380.jpg

post-157121-0-33619700-1421610402.jpg

I'm happy you did, keeping pieces together is important, at least in my opinion. If you make a display (which would be great!), post some pics of it!

Hunter Whittaker

Thanks guys will do!!! I Just got a USMC ACH helmet from a marine veteran I will post some pics of that later as well!

Glad you went back and got the other items, Hunter. Like the others have said, this will make a great display. Congratulations.

Hunter Whittaker

Thanks! Here are some pictures.I just recently bought this helmet a few days ago from a Marine sergeant who served as an infantryman

Who was discharged last year. He had been over seas several times but he said this is the helmet he used while training when he was back in the states! Unfortunately i didn't get his name!!! We met up at the local surplus store where he was planning on turning in the rest of his gear and the owner kicked us off the property just after we made the deal lol but I gave him my phone number because he has a plate carrier for sale to!

post-157121-0-64557200-1421801457.jpg

post-157121-0-46966200-1421801468.jpg

post-157121-0-66301400-1421801491.jpg

post-157121-0-91598800-1421801481.jpg

Matthew Harkin

Awesome find!!! That stinks that the owner kicked you guys off. I have an ACH that I put together that is almost the same. It has a USMC cover on it with tan cat eye bands and ESS goggles in tan, along with the NVG arm and goggle retention slings. I have to post pictures on here of my OIF/OEF collection it has really grown. Well I suggest you buy that plate carrier he has they are interesting items to own and even better when you can buy them directly from the vet that used it. Great finds man!!!

I can see the surplus store owners point of view but kicking you off is a bit much. Oh well you got a very nice lid, getting a name to it would be nice too.

Hunter Whittaker

Thanks guys and Ya it was pretty rediculous because I've been a loyal customer at that surplus for years! Lol I'm really hoping the vet will call me about that plate carrier though! He said he had a couple of them Id also really like to get his name!

• 11 months later...

Hard to tell in small photo but it looks like 116th Armored Calvary Regiment?

Merc,

Yes, judging from the photos, the patches do look like the 116th CAV BDE (ID-ARNG). This is from the first deployment in 2004-05 during OIF III. This is the BDE I deployed with to Kirkuk, Iraq.

It would be interesting to find out which Battalion this person was from. I do know that the BDE was really under strength, as far as manpower, and we had lots of individual augments fill the ranks.

Hunter Whittaker

Merc,

Yes, judging from the photos, the patches do look like the 116th CAV BDE (ID-ARNG). This is from the first deployment in 2004-05 during OIF III. This is the BDE I deployed with to Kirkuk, Iraq.

It would be interesting to find out which Battalion this person was from. I do know that the BDE was really under strength, as far as manpower, and we had lots of individual augments fill the ranks.

Thank you for the info and for your service. I agree! I would love to find out more about the soldier who wore this gear. I just don't know how to go about doing so. All I know is his last name "arana" and his last 4 of his social on the helmet band. And that he was a sergeant first class.

Hunter,

I will take an educated guess here, and its just that; educated. Judging from the badges on his jacket, he was probably Infantry. There was a Infantry Battalion, though mechanized, out of Montana that was assigned to our Brigade. Though there were personnel attached to our BDE at different times. There is also the modified DCU with pockets on the sleeves. This would be another guess that the person was Mech Infantry, as the Infantry BN, did have their Bradley IFV's with them during the whole deployment while the Armor BN's did not have anything. This may help trying to narrow your focus down some.

Hunter Whittaker

Thanks for the info. I think there's a good chance he was infantry also. I have a few other items that belong with this group that I never posted with it but one is an Alice pack that belong to him and it has his last name cat eyes and a ranger tab sewn to it.

• 1 year later...