Vinyl (or vinyl-like) Patches - Vietnam

River Patrol

Silk patches were used in Vietnam. They stood up well to heat and moisture in SEA and didn't lose their color. This we know.

Does anyone know if vinyl patches were ever used in Vietnam? I'm looking for direct evidence (a patch or a picture or similar evidence).

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Right...pocket hangers have that clear vinyl or plastic covering, but I mean where the ink colors in the patch design are set into the plastic.

They are heat sealed together. The backing was a canvas type material that must have been glued, or just heat sealed. In the photo, there were 3x of them.

post-122868-0-37288000-1421770450.jpg

Now, I stumbled upon a collection of many Korean War patches over last summer. I know nothing about ROK and when these could have been worn. 1950s-1980s maybe.

Thanks for showing these......Still very kool and shows the type of material that I'm looking for in Vietnamese patches....

vintageproductions

Steve-Here is a 23rd division pocket hanger made out of stamped vinyl.

It came out of Martha Raye's estate.

23rd.jpg

Thanks Bob....I knew if anyone could pull a rabbit out of a hat, it would be you.

That's a phenomenal patch.....pristine!!! I knew they existed....just RARER than hen's teeth.

Thanks for sharing it.

Steve

Vinyl patches are common to eastern European militaries including Russia.

Very true. A friend of mine grew up even in South Africa and gave me a vinyl patch from their Army from the 1970s/early 80s. Even when I was in Afghanistan, I saw that some of the Romanians had vinyl patches too (2011).

I know that they would not have survived in the Fairbanks, AK winter though! They would have shattered.

I'm just wondering: Why weren't they more prevalent in the '60s to early '70s in Vietnam?