The holy grail has arrived - my first A-2

doinworkinvans

doinworkinvans

I finally was able to acquire my first A-2 jacket! Was able to get it from a forum member which makes it even sweeter. Came in the mail today. I have been wanting one of these bad boys ever since I started collecting. It's a smaller size plain one, but it is in great shape. Leather is still pretty pliable and cuffs and bands are in great shape, only one small hole on the inside. The zipper is impecable, works flawlessly. Anyway, as you can tell I am pumped and glad to have her safe and sound.

(SORRY FOR THE BLUE GLARE IN THE PICS - HAVE NO IDEA WHERE ITS COMING FROM.)

Let me know what you think -

Daniel

2015-01-16 12.49.08.jpg

2015-01-16 12.49.31.jpg

2015-01-16 12.49.44.jpg

2015-01-16 12.50.00.jpg

Congrats...be careful this does not turn into a trend. ..your house will begin wafting with the aroma of old leather and smelly green stuff.

doinworkinvans

Nice grab! Did this happen to come from Wartime collectibles? Lol

haha - naw it didnt but I did have my eye on that one....that was a great price on that

doinworkinvans

Congrats...be careful this does not turn into a trend. ..your house will begin wafting with the aroma of old leather and smelly green stuff.

Thanks for the nice comments fellas!

And Rob, too late...the bug bit long ago!

The ladyfriend has asked several times what that "smell" is...I of course tell her its my new cologne :lol:

I have a question regarding a hypothetical situation that I'd like to get some opinions on:

If someone were to take an authentic WWII A-2 jacket and sew on equally authentic WWII

era group/squadron patches, using 1940's era thread, would such an jacket be considered

a fake, reproduction....?

doinworkinvans

I have a question regarding a hypothetical situation that I'd like to get some opinions on:

If someone were to take an authentic WWII A-2 jacket and sew on equally authentic WWII

era group/squadron patches, using 1940's era thread, would such an jacket be considered

I dont know if a person would know...if they did all that, it would be hard to tell. Especially if they were all weathered. They would be a lot of work...do you have a specific example?

doinworkinvans

Congrats Dan !!!! im just waiting on my first A2 to be delivered ! made up for you buddy !!

LB

thanks LB!!! cant wait to see your first one!

doinworkinvans

Excellent A2 very clean and nice Talon zip. Careful A2's are like Lays Chips you can't just have one.......

Thanks Lits - good to see ya back around here

and yes they are dangerous....i may or may not have my eye on another already :blink:

when ever i do that stuff (not specifically an A-2) i call it a recreation and i make that clear. plus it is for my display purposes and not to sell but thats just how I do it

I dont know if a person would know...if they did all that, it would be hard to tell. Especially if they were all weathered. They would be a lot of work...do you have a specific example?

I don't know nearly enough about flight jackets to spot the 'real-deal' from something put together using the method I just

laid out. I keep seeing the staggering prices some of these period jackets are selling for and it just got me to wondering if

this type of scenario is/could eventually come into play in the collectors market.

How would an 'assembled' piece of this type, all components of WWII vintage, be listed by an ethical seller?

Very cool!!!! your first A-2 is always the best !!!!

Be careful of the patches u use...what it looks like you have (or someone used a fake stamp)is an A-2 that was reissued after 1947 during the Korean War So WWII patches might or might not be correct..

A great jacket BTW..

it is a WWII produced jacket just to be clear...But they were REissued in limited numbers after 1947 when the US Air Force separated from the Army

Congrats on your first A-2 Daniel. I was wondering when you were finally going to show it off! I remember mine well. I still have it actually. It holds a special place with me for that reason. It's the one that started me down the path to this sickness! Haha

I'm sure this one will always hold a special place with you.

JD

doinworkinvans

I don't know nearly enough about flight jackets to spot the 'real-deal' from something put together using the method I just

laid out. I keep seeing the staggering prices some of these period jackets are selling for and it just got me to wondering if

this type of scenario is/could eventually come into play in the collectors market.

How would an 'assembled' piece of this type, all components of WWII vintage, be listed by an ethical seller?

I have never ever seen that done - a plain jane original A2 is worth alot on its on...and plus original "parts" are so hard to come by and expensive on their on...plus not to mention the price of a squadron patch....yea I dont see that being done at all. Just not worth it when you can make plenty on a normal one.

JDK on the forum here is the leader on A2's so you could maybe message him if you need some serious info.

Also just study ones on here and also check out ACME DEPOT...they have great info on A2's with all the makers and draw numbers.