WW1 Uncut Bullion Wings on Blue Background

Belleauwood

Belleauwood

post-3422-1215861112.jpg

These wings came directly from the family along with a number of other personal effects from Army pilot Henry C. Lewis, 96th Bomb Squadron, AEF. He had a forced landing and was taken prisoner and was a prisonmate of James Norman Hall in Germany. Hall mentions Lewis in his book, "Flying with Chaucer" that he published after the war. These wings are stunning (in my opinion) and one of the few I've seen on this color background. Fun stuff!

Belleauwood

post-3422-1215861430.jpg

There is a considerable amount of Lewis' ground school traing courses with this off uniform group. Hope you like it. ---D

John Cooper

Belleauwood a few questions for you:

1) The photos show a few different shades of blue which I am sure is from the lighting. Does the backing material lift to allow you to see the difference in the color on the obverse and reverse? I am just thinking about how much the color might have faded with time and how you may have a better idea of the color from under the backing material.

2) What year was he released and did he continue his service?

3) There is another badge on his tunic is that a foreign pilots badge if so can you ID it for me?

John

Belleauwood

Lewis was discharged in 1919 - The other insignia is the French Pilots Badge - He was Brevited and flew with the French squadrons before he became a member of the 1st Day Bombardment Group. The color of the wool felt is really much darker than photo tells. One with flash, the others without. The cotton muslin backing material has yellowed over time. The back is as dark as the front. This came directly from the Lewis family and had never seen any light of day until displayed by me. Hope this helps -

• 5 months later...
From my POW mail collection ! Its a small world.

Kurt

post-105-1230513004.jpg

Well, well it is indeed a small world. The only item I have of personal content is from the War Office to his brother (I think brother) confirming that he is a prisoner of war.

Neat

Dennis

Well, well it is indeed a small world. The only item I have of personal content is from the War Office to his brother (I think brother) confirming that he is a prisoner of war.

Neat

Dennis

I bought this out of an old collection of POW mail that was put togther from the 1950's-1970's. Some he obtaoned from the vets themselves by writing to them.

Kurt