AMERICAN PICKER EPISODE: MUSEUM MAN

BEAST

Museummansdaughter

Petie

What is your website address?

Thanks

it is www.bobnjoanstewart.com and if u guys see any thing you like please holler at me, i will listen to reasonable offers and we are trying to list at least 5 items per day,, its gonna take a long time going this route,, i have been able to list many militaria items, but there are literally 11000's more items,,, our heads are still spinning about best way to go about this, its a massive collection,,, please visit the webpage and thank u so much,,

Petie

Museummansdaughter

because they have no clue about how to value MOST militaria. you guys had some great stuff from what could be seen in the camera pans.

thank u and yes,, the collection is breath taking, i cant dance fast enough to post items on the webpage,, and yes the guys did pass up on some neat stuff, if u happen to see anything on the web page, ya guys let me know,, i will work with every body thank you,

Petie

hi there,, it couldnt be my parents your friend is talking about,, our buildings arent falling in and never were,,, when they shop closed after my mom got sick with 4 types of cancer,, we sold out her humongous Gun shop inventory and then dad got down and it was time to close the doors,,, and thank GOD we have family about 3 hours away that owns warehouses and we moved everything there to be able to sort it,, photograph it for the web page we now have up and running,, we try to add at least 5 items a day,, but i want to clear it up, thats our buildings have always been in good shape,, this is cool ya saw the show,, Petie

Thanks for the reply.My friend Tom would often visit Bob as he was out seeing his in laws.He got to several places and Im sure I got all his hunting places mixed up.He really enjoyed getting to know your dad and seeing the collections, coins, watches, swords, and he even saw the uniform from the show about 5 tears ago.Even spoke of the Confederate flags.

Best of luck with the collections.

Ron

Museummansdaughter

Thanks for the reply.My friend Tom would often visit Bob as he was out seeing his in laws.He got to several places and Im sure I got all his hunting places mixed up.He really enjoyed getting to know your dad and seeing the collections, coins, watches, swords, and he even saw the uniform from the show about 5 tears ago.Even spoke of the Confederate flags.

Best of luck with the collections.

Ron

thank you Ron for getting back to me,, now theres no doubt your friend is speaking of my dad, wow this is AWESOME and AMAZING,,yes sir,, the watch's coins, militaria, flags,uniforms, helmets, swords, and on and on, Mike Wolffe said my parents were the ORIGINAL PICKERS, hahaa,, bless their hearts that searched the world over, and i have a hard row to how ahead of me, some inventory I kn ow about some i am clueless and will have to find appraisers which i am not enthused about,, DAD was the GO TO guy when when needed to know what some was and its value,, and there are so many items not priced, my head is spinning , but i try daily to post minimum of 5 items to mom n dads webpage,, theres no doubt unless a high roller simply buys us out, this may take a while,, if any body knows any appraisers that work on commission?, I have too many irons on the fire to research items ans then i ant be sure the info is correct,,, but Ron thank u so much for geting back to me, if your friend Ron is still around tell him, i would love to hear stories about mom n dad,, thank u so much for your time and if u see any thing on webpage u are interested in , please holler,,i am a motivated seller,, thank u thank u thank u !!!

Petie

thank you Ron for getting back to me,, now theres no doubt your friend is speaking of my dad, wow this is AWESOME and AMAZING,,yes sir,, the watch's coins, militaria, flags,uniforms, helmets, swords, and on and on, Mike Wolffe said my parents were the ORIGINAL PICKERS, hahaa,, bless their hearts that searched the world over, and i have a hard row to how ahead of me, some inventory I kn ow about some i am clueless and will have to find appraisers which i am not enthused about,, DAD was the GO TO guy when when needed to know what some was and its value,, and there are so many items not priced, my head is spinning , but i try daily to post minimum of 5 items to mom n dads webpage,, theres no doubt unless a high roller simply buys us out, this may take a while,, if any body knows any appraisers that work on commission?, I have too many irons on the fire to research items ans then i ant be sure the info is correct,,, but Ron thank u so much for geting back to me, if your friend Ron is still around tell him, i would love to hear stories about mom n dad,, thank u so much for your time and if u see any thing on webpage u are interested in , please holler,,i am a motivated seller,, thank u thank u thank u !!!

Petie

I spoke to him and he said hes left a couple messages at some point.Tom from I*OW*A.Said he is in your dads note book too.Give him a call he would love to chatt with you.I think hes going out in a couple weeks again.

Museummansdaughter

I spoke to him and he said hes left a couple messages at some point.Tom from I*OW*A.Said he is in your dads note book too.Give him a call he would love to chatt with you.I think hes going out in a couple weeks again.

can u ask him to please email me contact info at the [email protected] or maybe u can send it to me here in email message.. thank u for helping me,

Petie

Petie,

Very nice to have you on here.. Welcome.. My wife and I saw the uniform episode, we were awestruck at the amount of militaria items in the background. I focused maybe a second on what was in front of the camera, but all the time I was scanning behind it..

Looking forward to visiting your website..

Leigh

Museummansdaughter

Petie,

Very nice to have you on here.. Welcome.. My wife and I saw the uniform episode, we were awestruck at the amount of militaria items in the background. I focused maybe a second on what was in front of the camera, but all the time I was scanning behind it..

Looking forward to visiting your website..

Leigh

thank you so much !!! and yes please visit the webpage, we are trying to add items daily, and if ya see items you like you guys let me know, i am a motivated seller, hehee, thank u so much,, and thank you for serving our Country !!

Petie

Museummansdaughter I don't mean to be harsh but you have an M8 Flare Gun as used by the USAAF during WWII priced at

$600 on your website. These range in price from about $100 to $150. In a couple of weeks you can come to the SOS in Louisville, KY and buy them all day long for that price.

At your marked price I think you will have this item in stock for some time.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie

Museummansdaughter

ok. well thanks for the info, but I totally RESPECT my dad and his knowledge and I am gonna stick with my Guns on dad's price,, and to be quite honest, I dont care one way or the other is this baby sells, because i love it,, ^_^ it can be a conversation piece for fun,,

and I plan on being in Louisville , I hear ya can take items there and get appraisals,, and I hope to meet some people that can work with me on a lot of the Military items, it could keep them busy for 3 years,, thanks for your time Ronnie

Petie

You will certainly get a lot of opinions of value at the Louisville show, and it is certainly a fun time.

FYI - no "real" certified appraiser does work based on commission, as it obviously becomes a conflict of interest, and is a violation of the USPAP (Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice) that they adhere to as professionals.

(unlike some auctioneers that will blow smoke on value, because ultimately they get their commission % no matter what it sells for)

But good luck in KY, maybe we will see you there!

Museummansdaughter

oh boy, I have already met some ''VULTURES'',, thats for sure and those interested in '' HELPING'' me with the 'VALUE'' of items, and when i ASK them if they have a MOTIVE,, of course they answer '' WELL YES'', hahaha...... I had to show a few of them the door !

what they dont realize, I am my dad's daughter, I was raised in this, I may not know the value of some items, but i can sniff a scammer a mile away ! :D and very very unfortunately in this old world there are people that will take a person to the cleaners if they can,,I understand being able to make a buck,, but to skin some body is not how mom n dad stayed in business for 67 years, now about Louisville, i tried hard up till last minute to get there last year and dad was'nt doing well, and i didnt feel good about leaving his side, but is this the GUN and KNIFE?.. dad has some Civil war swords,, a few Samurai swords, some WW 1 and WW 2 helmets that i am curious about, and yes,'' OPINIONS'' is what i plan on getting and AGREED about the auctioneers.. they dont care what the item brings, the ones i have dealt with get 17% from buyer, and 17% from seller, they cant go WRONG, and i do believe i have met them ! { live and learn },, okie dokie, Ya may see me there,, dad always went, time i pick up the torch ,,,,

• 2 weeks later...
Manchu Warrior

oh boy, I have already met some ''VULTURES'',, thats for sure and those interested in '' HELPING'' me with the 'VALUE'' of items, and when i ASK them if they have a MOTIVE,, of course they answer '' WELL YES'', hahaha...... I had to show a few of them the door !

what they dont realize, I am my dad's daughter, I was raised in this, I may not know the value of some items, but i can sniff a scammer a mile away ! :D and very very unfortunately in this old world there are people that will take a person to the cleaners if they can,,I understand being able to make a buck,, but to skin some body is not how mom n dad stayed in business for 67 years, now about Louisville, i tried hard up till last minute to get there last year and dad was'nt doing well, and i didnt feel good about leaving his side, but is this the GUN and KNIFE?.. dad has some Civil war swords,, a few Samurai swords, some WW 1 and WW 2 helmets that i am curious about, and yes,'' OPINIONS'' is what i plan on getting and AGREED about the auctioneers.. they dont care what the item brings, the ones i have dealt with get 17% from buyer, and 17% from seller, they cant go WRONG, and i do believe i have met them ! { live and learn },, okie dokie, Ya may see me there,, dad always went, time i pick up the torch ,,,,

Auctioneers aren't always the most honest individuals. With that said if you find the right one that does plenty of advertising they can do wonders for you. When I say the right one you don't want the auction house that specializes in sports memorabilia selling your militaria to the wrong crowd at the tail end of one of their auctions. That would be a good night for the buyer, for instance I have purchased some really nice sports memorabilia for very cheap prices at, off all places, gun auctions. From my experience a 17% commission from an auction house is actually a pretty good rate for the consignor.

• 2 years later...
Museummansdaughter

Beautiful Uniform. Did Mike and Frank purchase it on the show or pass it up?

yep they passed, but they did get RIA involved and at thr end of the day, it didnt end up good for us, but oh well,,,,,,,,

Museummansdaughter

If anyone saw the newest episode of American Pickers, they were in Indiana (filmed during Summer '14) and they visited a woman (Petey) whose parents run antique shops and had a lot of military. One of the items shown in the episode was the uniform worn by Col John Foster who was the ambassador to Mexico and Russia in the 1880s. The viewer didn't get a very good look at the uniform or the rest of the group, but it was sold at the Rock Island Auction in September 2014 for a realized price of $28,750.

I grabbed one photo of the uniform from their site and have included a link to the page if anyone is interested. Col Foster was a Hoosier who served with throughout the Civil War.

http://www.rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/62/lid/1032

attachicon.gifFOSTER 1.jpg

thank you for sharing this, is was one of the coolest items we ever owned, thank you for posting this, Petie : )

Museummansdaughter

One of their buddies is pretty involved with Rock Island.Hes been on the show and is a long time gun and Militaria dealer.

Thinking Petey didnt get the $ 25 grand after fees......

your correct, it was a BAD deal, regret it but water under the bridge now, the FEE'S were very SALTY,,but it is what it is, its done n over

Petie

Museummansdaughter

Yeah, he passed up lots of good stuff. They just don't get there is a great market on militaria

-Dave

i agree, they passed up a whole lotta GOOD stuff, and i was hoping for at least ''CONTACTS'' that bought /appraised/collected Militaria,,,but they never came thru for me, like they said they would,

Petie

Museummansdaughter

I think the seller said that she will throw in the fins as they shook hands, but he will probably never know the significance of them.

he didnt want the flippers,, i think i tried to give them to him in the deal, if i recall, he didnt want them,

Museummansdaughter

I think they 'get it' on the militaria market but don't possess the knowledge on how to even begin to guess at values and have probably 'over paid' or have been burned [like a lot of us have been at some point in our collecting careers] by fakes or reproductions

i kinda sorta think they depend on others they can call on to give them ideas of what items are worth,i dont think Military is so much their ''THING'' they bought a little but not much,if we had a motorcycle collection, they'd bought us out, haha,,,,

Petie