USGI Shelter Half Question

skautdog

Are ALL USGI (WWII and after) shelter halfs (pup tents) marked U S in the center section? Is there any other marking such as manufacturer, NSN/FSN, manufacturer tag, etc. sewn on?

TIA.

Ken

Here's a Korean War one LT. So it seems these could have nomenclature stampings on them, I of course used them when I was in, I do remember the large U.S. stamp in the center, but like most guys who now have an interest in U.S. Militaria, it never occured to me then to check for tags and stuff :D

post-34986-0-91350500-1421558929.jpg

Thanks for the info. Same for me. Just used the equipment as equipment and never gave a thought about details that seem important now for collecting.

Ken

'U.S.' in the center, of course there are slightly different fonts seen.

All army-issue shelter halves after WWII had the nomenclature and contract information stamped in black ink. I don't actually know the date they did away with them, but you will see 1980s dated examples a lot. I've noticed the 1960s (or at least many of the late 1960s) dated halves are hard to read, even when in very good+ condition.

Appreciate the help. Trying to decide if a couple of pieces at local junk shop are authentic. They "smell" and feel authentic, but only 1 piece has US marking in center section.

Ken

• 1 month later...

Came across an unusual shelter half...same size.... dimensions etc but no US and did not have USGI snaps nor buttons...snaps of a much different design,, much flatter than the US snaps...someone suggested French dunno though

• 1 year later...
airborne1968

There are US od shelters stamped with USMC where you would normally find he US. These shelters also have a row od smooth snaps (female type) across the top. I found my first one of these in 2015 and did not know about them until that time (and I have been collecting since 1996).