Mail the Rifle Home or Check it at the Airport?

SergeantMajorGray

SergeantMajorGray

I am planning on purchasing a rifle or 2 at the SOS/Gun show in Louisville. I live in NC so I will be flying home should I check the guns in at the airport or mail them home? I've got mixed answers online and from what I can tell mailing a long gun to yourself is legal. I am considering checking the rifle at the airport but that would require me to get a hard case for it and I also have a lay over at another airport which would increase the chances of them being lost or stolen. What do you guys think?

personally I would ship it UPS or FedEx with a insurance value on it or better yet find somebody there at the show from North Carolina that you may know or that is close to your area and have them haul it back for you.Throw them 25 or 50 bucks for their trouble or take them out for dinner. I wouldn't want to risk it on an airplane I know some guys do it but if you have my kind of luck the thing would either get stolen or damaged in transit on an airplane.

Shipping them may be a hassle, it will be somewhat expensive, you'll have to source packing materials, the rifles would be at greater risk for damage, and ultimately it isn't any more "secure" of a transport method. I'd bet that more firearms have come up "missing" going through the mail than being checked aboard a commercial airliner.

I don't know the particulars of the laws regulating the sales of firearms in your state, but you'll want to look those up as well.

Im thinking if shipped you would have to send then to an FFL license holder unless you have a C&R license if they fall under that license.

I still would find a dealer or forum member to haul them back if you have or know someone who lives within a reasonable driving distance.

I agree with Doyler. I would NOT ship them in the mail. The postal police and federales would not approve. But, what do I know?

I have checked weapons (pistols mainly) flying from DC to California and other areas and you are fine as long as you DECLARE the weapon. If you don't declare it, you are 99.99% guaranteed to get arrested.

Again, just thinking out loud.

SF
Chuck

Inter state transfer of firearms must be done dealer to dealer. If the gun is classified curio and relic the rules may be different. Handguns must be shipped next day air. If you are buying at the show and the dealer is an FFL, he must ship it to another dealer in your state and then you fill out the 4473 and take possession. Its all about the paper trail.

Too Much WW1 Militaria

I've flown all over the country bringing weapons home, and never had a problem. Go to the nearest Wal-Mart, buy a hard case and a couple of TSA approved locks. Declare them at the baggage check in, they will have you walk them through TSA who will do a explosives swipe on them. You will then lock the case at TSA, and return to baggage claim with the locked case, check it in, and pick it up at your destination. I've had a FFL for years, and flying with them is a lot easier than wrapping them, finding a UPS center (UPS stores cannot/will not ship firearms, only done at a real UPS center) Are you sure you can legally buy without a FFL/C & R license? Unless you are a resident of the state or active duty military stationed in the state, I'm pretty sure you can't. As 72psb stated, firearms sales must go dealer to dealer.

John

Shipping unless to manufacturer must be to FFL. I have shipped many times and have had no problems at all. Best bet, find an FFL there to ship to an FFL in your state

I've flown all over the country bringing weapons home, and never had a problem. Go to the nearest Wal-Mart, buy a hard case and a couple of TSA approved locks. Declare them at the baggage check in, they will have you walk them through TSA who will do a explosives swipe on them. You will then lock the case at TSA, and return to baggage claim with the locked case, check it in, and pick it up at your destination. I've had a FFL for years, and flying with them is a lot easier than wrapping them, finding a UPS center (UPS stores cannot/will not ship firearms, only done at a real UPS center) Are you sure you can legally buy without a FFL/C & R license? Unless you are a resident of the state or active duty military stationed in the state, I'm pretty sure you can't. As 72psb stated, firearms sales must go dealer to dealer.

John

I agree that a licensed dealer can not sell to a resident of another state but unless this show insists all sellers be licensed ffl holders.... at most of these military collectors shows there are other collectors as well, not licensed dealers, who he could buy from.

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Yep, every time I renew my FFL, not too long after words, a new regulation book arrives. Thing is like a phone book! And, be very careful buying from and shipping to anyone other than a dealer. The ATF has been known to set up and run stings at shows. We had one here on the East Coast (Richmond I believe) and several otherwise upstanding, decent people got nailed in it. My advise as someone who has done this for a while is buy from a licensed dealer and ship it to a licensed dealer. That way, you avoid entanglement with the Feds. Better yet, if you are going to collect WW1/2 weapons, get a C & R license. It isn't really that hard, and gives you the ability to buy and ship without the legal problems that might occur otherwise.

John

Some of you guys are so mixed up about shipping.

you can absolutely ship a gun to yourself with no FFL using USPS as long as it's not a pistol.

ANYONE can ship a long gun USPS as long as the person receiving it is either yourself or an FFL.

-Brian

Your local shop is an option.Typically here the shop will provide a copy of the license with the information needed to have it sent to them.

Not sure what you intend on buying but isn't there a large gunshow the same time as the SOS? Are you buying from a dealer or a casual seller/collector?Several things to consider especially being from another state.

Here at shows typically there are others walking through with something for sale and things change hands with no paper work as neither are dealers with a license.Granted we have rules and laws concerning age and a permit for handguns that you must have and are suppose to present when doing a transaction on handguns and are to be a resident of the state of purchase.Some will copy down your permit number and even ask for secondary identification.There are even sellers who set up but have a sign posted as a "private sale" .They are selling their private collection or a family estate.No paper work is done but the buyer still needs a permit and the proper identification to buy.Some(casual) sellers ask others dont.They are also not to sell a handgun to a non resident.If they want to sell the handgun it has to go through FFL dealer from this state to the buyers state and be recieved by an FFL Holder there.

Depending on what you intend on buying it may be easier just to buy it at a show in your state of residence.

Living where I do I tend to get over the border into Minnesota to a few shows.My permit to purchase is not currently recognized there.For the type of things Im intrested in a C&R license would be nice when going over the border.

SergeantMajorGray

Plan on looking at the SOS and gun show I'm thinking about getting a Lee Enfield or another type of bolt action rifle. If I sell this sword I have for a good amount I may by a more expensive rifle. Gun shows in my area are somewhat rare and my local gun shops are a tad overpriced and don't stock as much historical firearms I'll find in Louisville.

I have flown with them checked, but make sure you are the first at the baggage claim!! And lock the case!!! In a very good sturdy case. I have a nice pelican case that i use.

Brian Dentino

Fly with it in a locked hard case. No hassles when I went to Alaska and I took a Glock pistol as well as a shotgun. Check in and they will inspect and stow the case/firearms. Very simple and easy........

SergeantMajorGray

I think I'll just fly with it. I'll become a NRA member and get the free $2,500 gun insurance so if they are lost/stolen at the airport I'll be covered.

For the type of things Im intrested in a C&R license would be nice when going over the border.

it's really nice, Ron..

I would recommend getting one.

$30 for three years pays for itself quickly in saved hassles and fees... not to mention the discounts and exclusive deals you can get as a "dealer" to these vendors (they class C&R holders as "dealer pricing"). Brownells for example I can usually save about 1/4 of the price on anything.

Anywhere you go in the US you can buy a C&R pistol/rifle and bring it home with you.

-Brian

Brian,

I have been wanting to do it but it's just one of those things that gets put off. I know at Kansas City you can actually go out and fill the forms right there as the ATF has a table and will let you apply for a license right at the show seems I always miss them there or they closed down early.

Sadly, a C&R is all but worthless here in CA...you have to get a COE as well (~$70 a year) and then you STILL can't buy a handgun without going through a dealer. I was excited when I got my C&R...and then with all the hassle I've never used it (which is probably the intention of the laws...) :rolleyes:

Anyway...my very personal opinion for the OP is just to drive around in NC and find a gun there. I can guarantee you (having lived on the VA/NC border for years) that not every gun shop there is overpriced. You just have to shop around, that's all. That way, you don't have to deal with all the headache of properly documenting the transfer, then flying with (or shipping) the gun, etc. SO much headache and room to really get screwed by the ATF if you're not careful. Better to spent $50 in gas and buy one in NC.

But that's just my opinion...

One thing to keep in mind when you read through the experiences of members is that laws regarding the purchase of firearms vary from state to state. For instance, I have never heard of a "purchasing permit" here in Kansas, whereas Doyler mentioned above that one is required for purchasing handguns in his state.

You'll find that it is technically unlawful for an unlicensed buyer from a different state to purchase a firearm from an unlicensed seller without involving an FFL. As I stated earlier, be sure to research the laws for your home state, as well as Kentucky. If you buy from a licensed firearms dealer, and simply check the firearms in with your airline according to their procedures, you should be perfectly fine.

A Curio & Relic FFL 03 license is a good idea if you plan on acquiring a fairly substantial number of qualifying firearms over the next few years. If you are just wanting to purchase 2-3 WW2 military rifles, I would suggest not bothering with a C&R FFL. If you want to start a collection of WW2 and earlier firearms, a C&R may not be a bad idea. Just be sure you investigate this option heavily, as there are some downsides to a C&R license as well.

Anyway...my very personal opinion for the OP is just to drive around in NC and find a gun there. I can guarantee you (having lived on the VA/NC border for years) that not every gun shop there is overpriced. You just have to shop around, that's all. That way, you don't have to deal with all the headache of properly documenting the transfer, then flying with (or shipping) the gun, etc. SO much headache and room to really get screwed by the ATF if you're not careful. Better to spent $50 in gas and buy one in NC.

But that's just my opinion...

This is good advice as well. I am always amazed at what I'm able to find with a little bit of searching and patience. Sometimes I even find something BETTER than what I was expecting.

I just wanted to add a few more things... laws affecting interstate gun sales can be a bit confusing, primarily because this involves federal law, the laws of your home state, and the laws of the state where you are considering the purchase of a firearm. You will want to be well aware of all 3 before you make any purchases. DO NOT just go by what some people on an internet forum have told you, or what you may have read from some random person on a website. Read the laws for yourself. The BATFE doesn't really care about what you read on USMF, Gunboards, etc.

Some people ignore state/federal firearms laws and engage in interstate face-to-face transactions between unlicensed individuals. However, I've always held the opinion that it's not worth the risk.

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Amen to what Longbranch said. Without the FFL/C & R it is really a minefield. And, if you can get through the BATF rule book, good on ya. You can tell it was ALL done by lawyers!

John

If you fly with it, make sure you check in at least an hour in advance. I flew on Southwest from San Jose, CA to Vegas on the 1st of this month with a Pelican Storm case that had my BCM AR-15, Glock 19, warbelt, camelbak, 2 loaded Glock mags encased in a double pistol mag pouch and 11lbs of 9mm inside. (per TSA regulations) I had to deal with my case not getting to me at McCarren until later that night because I checked in 30 minutes before my flight was scheduled to depart (thanks to my lazy cousin that couldn't wake up on time). The TSA agents at SJC had to physically check inside the case since I guess they're too stupid to read the x-ray scanners. Because I was a late check-in they couldn't get me in time to open up the case since I had the keys. Fortunately a friend was driving to San Francisco that afternoon so I asked him to get a spare key from my house, go to the airport, give TSA the key so they can check the contents. Once they finally cleared it the case went on the next flight where I finally got it with everything still inside.

The flight back was much smoother. I checked in an hour prior, after declaring my firearms the Southwest counter lady told me to go to the TSA counter where they had me wait 15 minutes in case they had to physically inspect the contents again. Fortunately this time they didn't need to so I proceeded to the security CP. When I got back to SJC I got my rolling deployer bag and my Storm case quickly.

Moral of my story is that as long as you follow airline, TSA, and Federal regulations and check in early enough flying with firearms is not a big deal and can save you the $ it will cost to ship a firearm next day air.

A poster above mentioned to use TSA approved locks for firearms cases, DO NOT use them. I bought 4 keyed Master locks from Walmart the day prior because according to the Code Of Federal Regulations,

§1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals.

(ii) The firearm is unloaded;

(iii) The firearm is carried in a hard-sided container; and

(iv) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the passenger retains the key or combination.

So only YOU are authorized access to your case after the TSA clears it after checking it in. And do you want any TSA agent easy access to your guns with a TSA approved lock?