B-17 nose art

30-30remchester

30-30remchester

hello everyone im new to this sight please be patient with me. i am an ardent supporter and admirer of all our military. my much loved and decieced father in law was a ball turret gunner on a B-17 with the 15th army air corps in ww2 with 51 missions to his credit. i have his plane serial number and was wanting to find out if anyone knows how to find out the planes nickname and nose art. can anyone help direct me? am an avid collector of military guns and knives.

Steindaddie

Do you know the group or squadron to which your father-in-law belonged ? That, and the serial number, should allow the plane to be tracked down much easier.

Will

30-30remchester
Can you post the number please??

thanks for the intrest my father in law was in the 15th air force ,5th wing, 97th group, 342nd squadron flying the ball turret of a B-17g. on the front of his flight folder a hand written "plane 6374". ant help would be appreciated he never told anything but humorous incedents. would like to find out more if possible thanks

thanks for the intrest my father in law was in the 15th air force ,5th wing, 97th group, 342nd squadron flying the ball turret of a B-17g. on the front of his flight folder a hand written "plane 6374". ant help would be appreciated he never told anything but humorous incedents. would like to find out more if possible thanks

While I don't have any nose art I can post some of the jacket patches, and tail markings

97th BG DUI VENIT HORA =The Hour Has Come

and tail marking

post-3435-1216019143.jpg

post-3435-1216019205.jpg

post-3435-1216020116.jpg

While I don't have any nose art I can post some of the jacket patches, and tail markings

97th BG DUI VENIT HORA =The Hour Has Come

and tail marking

The 342nd had a black 2 in the white circle below the triangled Y. Would also note that by late 1944, the B-17Gs were not painted OD. They were all natural bright aluminum. The 97th also painted their rudders and ailerons a red and white peppermint pattern. The 97th BG was in and around Foggia by the end of the War. The 341st was a Amendola, which remains an Italian air base today.

brandon_rss18

That is really AWESOME!!!! I wish I knew some info on the B-17 my Grandfathers Cousin flew as he was a pilot. Is there any way too find this info out? I have all of his papers but nothing about his plane. PLEASE tell me there is a way!!!!!!! ermm.gif

Not B-17 Nose art but I thought you would enjoy it. Belive it or not it is that of BG Pratt's glider which crashed and killed him on D-Day. Its currently hanging with his personal effects in the Fort Campbell Pratt Museum.

David

PICT0090-1.jpg

342nd logo and jacket patch ( early)

This Disney design features the image of a unicorn from Fantasia and was created in April 1942.

Wow, didn't know they kept this part. :blink:

I visited the place where he was killed ... a creepy place if you ask me.

Erwin

Not B-17 Nose art but I thought you would enjoy it. Belive it or not it is that of BG Pratt's glider which crashed and killed him on D-Day. Its currently hanging with his personal effects in the Fort Campbell Pratt Museum.

David