Enlisted WAVES CAPE AND HAT, please date...

Keith

90 per cent of the gear we wear is not in the regs..........

I could be wrong but I can't believe the Navy would allow 90 % of the gear to not be in the regs. If so, why bother having the regs?

A picture is worth a thousand words. Can you please provide a picture of the women's coat you mentioned?

As I said before, this does not look like a foul weather coat that a woman would wear. Doesn't matter if it is in the regs or not. If you can please provide a picture that is this coat, then I will gladly admit that I am wrong. I am sure you work with many women so maybe one of them can provide you with a picture. Until then, I just can't believe that this is something a woman would wear while on watch.

....Kat

It is a one off thing that I saw in Norfolk in 2003-2009, that is about all I can say. It is certainly not something that saw wide use. Most likely private purchase, but it was used. I remember the person very well, she was my 90 percenter.

Well aware, that is what it is called, not that it is actually used by nurses.....more appropriate Corpsman...and again, if I had photos, would have posted them. It is just a memory and talking to other long time squids in the office

Since when did they allow otegnant females to remain aboard ship? Not between 1972-1999. Sorry, just not buying this as USN. And I'm done with this.

Squidres,

I don’t mean for this post to come off rude but it may sound like I am being rude.

As a seller or buyer, I would NEVER try to describe this as a female Navy uniform item. This item is not listed on any Navy reg or uniform list. No pictures or documentation back up that this is a Navy item. There is no Navy tag in the item. Nothing has been shown to prove this is a female Navy uniform item.

While I know that memory can be lost, you started out saying it was foul weather gear, then you said it was worn while on watch, then you said you remembered one female wearing something like this, and last you said “it is an old stock nurse pregger smock”. Sorry but for anyone to believe your memory, you have waffled too much.

In addition, to repeatedly describe a female military item as the slang “preggers” and not “maternity” or “pregnancy” makes you sound flippant and not really someone who knows much about women’s military items. As a woman, I certainly do not mean this to sound sexist. There are MANY men on here who are much more knowledgeable than me regarding female military items. I just believe the way someone presents themselves by their responses speaks volumes.

...Kat

I appreciate you folk's efforts in trying to ID this item the antique mall sold me. I suggest we close this thread now and be done with it. There is no need to continue in the direction it is headed. Regards, keith

That hat has been worn for nearly 40 years and with the older pin longer than that. As to the frock, I have never seen a Navy enlisted garment without a tag of some sort WW2 forward. ESPECIALLY female gear. Is this frock lined? I cannot believe that an outer garment with Pea coat size buttons would not have some kind of liner and tag. Could this have been locally inspired ? sure you never know, I was once assigned to the USS O"Callahan and the CO entered the the HT shop wearing a female button down sweater???KFC??? any thing is possible. Even if it was experimental and Navy it would have a tag, and if a regular garment it would be noted some where in the regs.

I would put it on the rack and wait for further evidence to pop up. And, also, ???KFC??? really means w t f might have bought it my self.

I would put it on the rack and wait for further evidence to pop up. And, also, ???KFC??? really means w t f might have bought it my self.

Good advice, will do. To answer your previous post, yes it is lined and no, there are no tags or markings anywhere in it. Regards.