Ford GPW Jeep. 1943?

USdog

Hey,

My friend found this Ford GPW Jeep online. Price isn't bad (or so it seems) so I may be interested in buying it to try and restore. I would just like to see what you guys think and have some questions....

The seller thinks that it is from 1942. He said the serial number is GPW 9**** on the frame but data plate is illegible. And from researching I think is early 1943?

It has a mix of ford and willys parts supposedly. It has a post war willys engine. I'm assuming bumper, headlights, wheels, are post war? Engine turns over but he has not tried to start.

Any idea on value? Is it restorable? Run away?

Anything else you guys can tell me please do. Good or bad. I'm no expert.

Thanks guys!

Connor

post-93633-0-25367900-1421272523.jpg

Hey,

My friend found this Ford GPW Jeep online. Price isn't bad so I may be interested in buying it to try and restore. I would just like to see what you guys think and have some questions....

The seller thinks that it is from 1942. He said the serial number is GPW 9**** on the frame but data plate is illegible. And from researching I think is early 1943?

It has a mix of ford and willys parts supposedly. It has a willys engine. I'm assuming bumper, headlights, wheels, are post war? Engine turns over but he has not tried to start.

Any idea on value? Is it restorable?

Anything else you guys can tell me please do. Good or bad. I'm no expert.

Thanks guys!

Connor

that looks like alot of surface rust that ate its way through, itd be one heck of a project but not impossible. but unless you know what you are doing its not going to be very easy... i know a guy who restored a 1942 ford jeep and he's restored his share of cars butit was a tough one and not even close to this condition... sold yesterday at the Barret Jackson auction for i believe $35,000 so if your work passes that id avoid it.

Hi..

The body might be WW2 but lights and bumper are odd and not from WW2, some instruments are missing (the rare fuel indicator) and wheels and tires are not WW2, There be a lot of cutting and welding and you see on a project to at least $ 5000 but it can be restored and will be a dream when it is finished

Hi..

The body might be WW2 but lights and bumper are odd and not WW2, Wheels and tires are not from a Jeep and there are m issing some instruments (the rare fuel indicator) the engine may be taken out out and it must surely be lifted from the frame, that is a lot of cutting and welding and you look at a project to perhaps $ 5,000 but it can be restored and will be a dream when it is finished.

(I have a GPW 1944)

Hi..
The body might be WW2 but lights and bumper are odd and not WW2, Wheels and tires are not from a Jeep and there are m issing some instruments (the rare fuel indicator) the engine may be taken out out and it must surely be lifted from the frame, that is a lot of cutting and welding and you look at a project to perhaps $ 5,000 but it can be restored and will be a dream when it is finished.
(I have a GPW 1944)

then you gotta remember that if he wants to do a proper restore it will need ford parts, ford marked EVERYTHING so youd know it was a ford lol. and also i should have mentioned the one that auctioned for $35,000 had things like the rare winch on the front and stuff like that PLUS was restored with original parts. so you may need to consider a lower price as well :mellow:

Well I guess I will pass since you guys don't sound too excited about it.

I'm going to look for a jeep in a box for 50 bucks on craigslist instead ;)

Being serious though.... What would this be worth as it sits? Just wondering.

No, I like it and think it deserves to be brought back to life, there's just a lot of work before it is ready, I do not know if the engine can run and which parts are included in the deal (there could be all the parts from WW2 you missing) I would give $ 2000 for the jeep and parts.

What's the price online?

Has a CJ grill, T-94 transmission (civilian), we already know the motor is, front and back frame has been cut up, looks like at least one CJ left rear leaf spring. I think the tub is an MB (Willy's)...total Frankenstein.

The windshield might be an early CJ too. Parts rig in my opinion. The pictures are less than desirable for any real assessment, the tub looks very workable but cannot see any real detail.

$400-$600 IMO strip the littles like the grab handles and footman bars and other misc odds and ends which are usually always missing then sell it and try to get your money back. Look for something that is principally still a military jeep and one make either GPW or MB.

No, I like it and think it deserves to be brought back to life, there's just a lot of work before it is ready, I do not know if the engine can run and which parts are included in the deal (there could be all the parts from WW2 you missing) I would give $ 2000 for the jeep and parts.

Really?

the motor and transmission are CJ and the grill, maybe the hood and windshield even . Who knows what other CJ parts are in the running gear maybe even the front and rear axles. The only GI thing there for certain is the tub. To clarify that I know it has a post war tranny is that it has the stamped raised cover at the gear shift lever this is the tall tale sign of having the T-94 transmission, WWII covers are flat. CJ parts for the most part are worthless.

Yes it's true, but he mentioned parts that came in the deal and it was the absolute top price I mentioned if the bodywork number was WW2

Good point might just be a MB tub on CJ frame...with a CJ T90 tranny and the grill...any jeep could and should be brought back to life...depends on what you want and how much you want to spend...

Do you want a museum quality resto or motor pool resto...or a jeep just to kick it with the family...those in the jeep family have seen just about everything under the sun..so it depends on what you want to do with it...

But you are asking for a price...

I wouldn't go more than 500.00 here in DE for a jeep in that condition...unless it had really special going for it

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I hope someone restores that jeep, but I would not, unless you have buckets of cash and loads of time. There are more restorable ones, which will speed the task (and reduce the cost). Below are some photos of mine, which is nearing completion. I paid $2500 or so for it, and I'll be in it $8500 when I am done. Give or take.

post-24805-0-63093400-1426277279.jpg

post-24805-0-61730200-1426277293.jpg

post-24805-0-98810400-1426277310.jpg

post-24805-0-55099500-1426277327.jpg

post-24805-0-80787300-1426277343.jpg

Thanks. Very happy with it. Bought on ebay from about 300 miles from my house. Found an engine on craigslist, about 20 miles

from my house. Having WAY more fun with this than my last car, a 70 Mustang fastback, which I owned for 24 years.

Connor, I hate seeing anything go to a scrapyard, even something like your friend's jeep. I like the questions that were asked. What are you looking to accomplish? Parade car? Museum piece? And what are your tools and skills? And your time frame, and budget?

But I think that jeeps a $750 jeep. SOOOOO much to do and not that much to work with.