med-dept

Custom resize tool exclusively for the USMF

No love from my computer, :mellow: Have been experiencing this for years as I wish to participate, have some fine things to share. Could this resizing tool be incorporated into a standard forum image uploading protocol? Something built-in to the USMF template?

I am running Firefox and Windows 7.

Cheers,

Cody

donation2014.gif

I successfully used and posted several photos using the re-sizing tool, but then ran into problems.

I keep getting a message that the photo is too large. I even re-sized a re-sized photo and still couldn't

post it.

WANTED TO BUY

Checkpoint Bravo MP brassard

Well this ole dinosaur isn't having any luck. I get as far as the process image button and it stops right there.

Maybe it's my iPad?

Molan Labe

I tried your software twice today. One time with Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome on Windows 10.

It is working until I recieve the .zip file. When I open it, it's always empty.

Collector of used and ID'd M1 Helmets

donation2019.gif

Hi guys,

I have seen a lot of people experiencing difficulties in resizing images to follow the 251 Kb filesize restriction that the board has. As I am a web developer by trade, I decided that I would create a tool to allow for simple resizing of images for use on the Forum that was easy to use.

The tool is available online and is absolutely free to use. You just need to visit...

http://ben-major.com/tools/usmf-resize.php

The tool will accept any JPEG, PNG or GIF image (of any size), and will apply mathematics and filesize calculation algorithms to reduce the size of the image for use on the USMF.

The tool is still in the test phase, but I'd actively encourage people to try it out, and let me know how you get on. Please contact me through the Forum or via this thread for help and support.

I'll go ahead and post some sample images, with some brief data about each image.

Thanks and happy uploading!

Ben.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Because of the thread length and broken links...we have replaced all links on this thread with correct functioning links. So they now all work.Here it is...

http://ben-major.com/tools/usmf-resize.php

Hi Ben,

Your resize tool doesn't seem to work with large PNG files at 10mb to 11mb. Is there an upper limit for files? thanks.

Anyone else having issues with the link lately?

Learn to ride hard, shoot straight, dance well and so live that you can, if necessary, look any man in the eye and tell him to go to Hell! US Cavalry Manual, 1923

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

Just a heads up to say that I am in the throes of rebuilding resize tool, and improving both its performance, compatibility and usability.

Please keep a watch on this thread for updates!

Regards,

Ben.

Thank you...

I had used it for years just fine, and then it went kaflooey on me too a few months back.

HONORING FAMILY LtCol Wm Russell (1679-1757) VA Mil; Pvt Zachariah McKay (1714-97) Frederick VA Mil; BrigGen Evan Shelby, Jr (1719-94) VA Mil; Pvt Vincent Hobbs (1722-1808) Wythe VA Mil; Pvt Hugh Alexander (1724-77); Lt John R. Litton (1726-1804); Bvt BrigGen/Col Wm W. Russell (1735-93) 5th VA Rgmt; Lt James Scott (1736-1817); Capt John Murray, Sr (1747-1833); Capt John Sehorn, Sr (1748-1831) VA Mil; Pvt Corbin Lane (1750-1816) Franklin/TN Mil; Cpl Jesse D. Reynolds (1750-1836) 5th VA Rgmt; Capt. Solomon C. Litton (1751-1844); 1Lt Christopher Casey (1754-1840) SC Mil; Pvt Mark Adams (1755-1828); Pvt Randolph White (1755-1831) Bailey's Co. VA Rgmt; Capt. John R. Russell (1758-1838); Pvt Joseph T. Cooley (1767-1826) Fort Hempstead Mil; Pvt Thomas Barron (1776-1863) 1812; Capt. John Baumgardner (1787-1853) VA Mil; Pvt Joel Estep (1828-1864) Co B 5th KY Inf CSA & US; Pvt George B. Bell (1833-1910) Co C 47th IL Inf US; Cpl Daniel H. Barron (1838-1910) Co B 19th TN Rgmt Inf CSA; Capt Richard K. Kaufman (1908-1946) 7th PRG/3rd AF CCU; T-5 Vernon L. Bell (1926-95) 1802nd Spec Rgmt; PO2 Murray J. Heichman (1932-2019) HQSB/MCRD; PFC Jess Long (1934-2017) US Army; PFC Donald W. Johnson (1931-) 43rd ID HQ; A1C Keith W. Bell (1931-2011) 314th TCW; A3C Michael S. Bell (1946-) 3346th CMS; A1C Sam W. Lee (1954-2017) 2d BW; AW3 Keith J. Price (1975-) VP-10; 1Lt Matthew Wm Bell (1985-) 82nd Abn/SOC

For years I have resized my pics stored in my computer with "paint" that is my old Windows 7 picture program to get them under the 251 and then I add the smaller image to my post. Richard

Wanted: WWI ID'ed USMC Green Wool Uniform and ANYTHING documented to my Dad's Iwo Jima outfit: 21st Marines 3rd Div.

Items marked "Marquet, Marquett, or Marquette"

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

2017-donor-medallion.gif

It did not work fir me. I tried numerous times on my iPad. “Safari can not open the page.” This occurs after I choose the pictures to resize. Also the message, “The error was: The operation could not be completed.”

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your answer. Jeff

Having trouble also, worked in the past just fine. I’m using an iPad.

Thank you for all that you do,

Marty

After some further digging, this appears to be a bug within Safari, and not something that I am able to resolve:

https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=197441

If you must use your iPad to resize the images, can I suggest downloading Google Chrome?

Thanks,

Ben.

Just one of the hundreds of reasons to not own a Apple product. Very controlling and locked down. I have been in the telecommunications/cell phone industry for a total of 13 years and this has always been Apples MO, pertaining to their phones at least. The only thing I know about their computers is they are over priced dollar for dollar, unless you are in the video editing business. Propietary is not good for the consumer, it corners the market, and inflates prices. Ok rant over, and I didn't mean to hijack this thread. Nor did I mean to offend any Apple users.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Yes, considering this a bug that was first reported almost 12 months ago, the fact that it hasn't been solved yet really shows their support for the community of developers. I have to say that I use an iMac for all development, but do not use other Apple products for this reason!

Just a note, the USMF upgrade, which is coming up very soon, will automatically resize your photos. This will allow members to post without the extra step of resizing.

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."
donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif