Custom resize tool exclusively for the USMF

Ben and all: I just used to resize and post FS a book. It work fine via google chrome for me.

Ben, can this do a batch resize, or just one photo at a time (which is what I did with it)?

Nice tool, thanks.

JimB

JimB

OMSA Member 6642

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim,

I was actually thinking about adding a batch option. It would likely allow people to select multiple images, and then process each one and deliver it back as a ZIP file. At the moment, it only supports individual images.

When I have a spare five minutes, I'll investigate adding such functionality and will post here with any updates. :)

Thanks,

Ben.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello Ben, I tried to go to your link but it's gone? I've used the image resizer before and it worked great. Is it no longer available?

Thanks,

Frank

I have had the same problem! It is a great tool! hopefully it gets fixed soon!

Hi guys,

As promised, I have now been able to migrate the system to a new server, and have added some new features that I think you will find useful. The new tool can be found here...http://ben-major.com/tools/usmf-resize.php(I will also update the first post in this thread, and the link in my signature to avoid any confusion).

The new feature that is now present is the ability to resize images in bulk if your browser supports multiple image uploads. If your browser supports this feature, a blue alert box will appear informing you of the additional instructions, but as a general guide the following browsers will be able to leverage this new feature:

• Internet Explorer >= v10
  • Mozilla Firefox >= v38
  • Google Chrome >= v31
  • Safari >= 8
With multiple files selected (by clicking the Ctrl or Shift key and clicking on the files you'd like to choose), you will be presented with a new option. This checkbox (shown in the screenshot below) allows you to select whether all of the images you have chosen should be resized to a maximum combined size of 251 KB, so that all images can be added in a single post here on the USMF. Of course, this will produce some poor quality images if the number of selected files is large, but should generally work well for less than 10 images. To enable this functionality, simply check the box underneath the file browser, as shown below:

post-2299-0-23545700-1445170497.png

Using the bulk option, your resized images will be presented to you as a ZIP file. Once the file has been downloaded, you will need to save it to your computer, extract its contents, and then upload the files here on the USMF.

In case anyone has any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact me via PM.

Thanks,

Ben.

Link comes up as nothing there.

donation2019.gif
donation2018.gif
donation2017.gif
donation2016.gif
donation2015.gif
donation2014.gif
donation2013.gif
donation2012.gif
donation2011.gif
donation2010.gif
donation2009.gif
donation2008.gif

A1C Matthew Seidler, Delta Company, 466th EOD killed in action. 05 Jan 12 at 1600L while conducting mounted route clearance patrols in Helmand Province, Afghanistan. He turned 24 two days before his death. Cousin, Soldier, Hero.

Thanks, working now.....

donation2019.gif
donation2018.gif
donation2017.gif
donation2016.gif
donation2015.gif
donation2014.gif
donation2013.gif
donation2012.gif
donation2011.gif
donation2010.gif
donation2009.gif
donation2008.gif

A1C Matthew Seidler, Delta Company, 466th EOD killed in action. 05 Jan 12 at 1600L while conducting mounted route clearance patrols in Helmand Province, Afghanistan. He turned 24 two days before his death. Cousin, Soldier, Hero.

Thanks for sharing this tool. The ease of using it really made the difference in me posting things to the forum.

Keith

WANTED

USO-Camp Shows, Stage Door Canteen, American Theatre Wing and Hollywood Canteen items.

Uniforms, Insignia, Paper Items, Photos

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, works great for single images. I just tried to do a batch of 24 images, and it seems to go into never, never land. Did one batch of 4 and it worked fine, then wasn't able to do any more groups so had to do it one file at a time. Still much easier than what I was using!

Thanks for your message. What was the combined size of the images in the batch of 24? It might be that I need to make some modifications to the server to increase the maximum allowed execution time. I'm sure that it can be fixed, though.

Cheers,

Ben.

Has anyone else had problems using the tool with windows 10? When I try to use it, it shows the image as being downloaded but am not being given an option to save it to a file. When I checked it does sjhow in the reent download files but is not resized.

RIP Molly...Oct. 2000 - July 2013 For 13 years you have been my best friend and companion, giving love and asking only for love in return. May you rest now, free from your pain. I will miss you girl, and will keep you in my heart forever....the sweetest dog and best friend ever! I'll see you again one day.

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

Images that are processed through the system will only be resized if their original filesize is greater than 256 KB. If they're smaller than that, they will be presented to the browser unmodified. This might be what is happening in your case above, although it's difficult to say.

Which browser are you using to work with the service?

Regards,

Ben.

I'm using Microsoft Edge browser which came with windows 10 and is apparently meant to replace IE. Several pictures were around 6.5 MB which are too large for the forum without resizing.

RIP Molly...Oct. 2000 - July 2013 For 13 years you have been my best friend and companion, giving love and asking only for love in return. May you rest now, free from your pain. I will miss you girl, and will keep you in my heart forever....the sweetest dog and best friend ever! I'll see you again one day.

OK, thanks for the information. There shouldn't be a problem with MS Edge, but I will look into it for you.

Regards,

Ben.

Thanks, haven't been able to figure out if it was me or the program or what???

• 4 months later...

well i just tried to use it cause my usual method didnt work... and it definitely resized, however i wanted it smaller not larger lol it went from 271KB to 411KB

edit: I tried to resize the now bigger file to see if it would work and it went from 411KB to 412KB...

"America shall win the war. Therefore, I will work. I will save. I will sacrifice. I will endure. I will fight cheerfully and do my utmost, as if the whole issue of the struggle depended on me alone." -Martin A. Treptow Jake L.

NO ONE IN HISTORY HAS EVER CHOKED TO DEATH FROM SWALLOWING THEIR PRIDE.

Heaven help me, how I miss my friend

That has also happened to me when using Windows 7, which (I think) does not interface well with the forum's software, because I cannot copy and paste anything either.

Whenever I use the custom resize tool, which works great by the way, I have to open up Mozilla Firefox in order for it to work properly. I also have to use Firefox whenever I want to use the copy and paste function when posting here on the forum.

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody know what happened to the site???? It says site suspended when you try to access it.

Anybody know what happened to the site???? It says site suspended when you try to access it.

I got the same message. ..maybe the developer who was generous enough to set it up for the forum can help.

Always Buying...Medals...Patches...Wings... Singles or Groups...Top Cash Paid!!!

My Website...http://www.purpleheartsnorthcarolina.com/

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif