1947 Pattern Army EM Service Cap Frames, New In Box

MattS

In the post-WW2 US Army, there were a number of uniform changes. In 1947, the enlistedman's service cap was modified from the WW2 version by changing the wool material, the construction, and the versatility by offering one cap frame that could be worn with either a tan or OD#33 wool serge cover. A friend of mine located two such cap frames in a 1949 dated box.

post-32676-0-15484600-1421166934.jpg

post-32676-0-94733500-1421166949.jpg

Each cap frame consists of the frame (with shiny brown visor, strap, and buttons), one thin plastic sweatshield, one metal front support for the insignia, and one rubber grommet.

post-32676-0-86353300-1421167119.jpg

The stamp on the sweatband is dated 1948.

post-32676-0-80967200-1421167144.jpg

Example of a complete cap being worn by CPL Gerald V. Yarrish who was Killed In Action during the Korean War.

post-32676-0-07050600-1421167908.jpg

James Albert Wilfong, KIA in Korea.

post-32676-0-56792600-1421167960.jpg

CPL Cletus R. Lies, KIA Korea.

post-32676-0-51599300-1421168000.jpg

CPL Curtis Johnson Davenport, KIA Korea.

post-32676-0-33463900-1421168053.jpg

SSGT Michael J. Barra, KIA Korea.

post-32676-0-99441600-1421168075.jpg

That's great documentation for when the enlistedman caps started having the mohair center band, previously only on officer caps, instead of the plain smooth band.

Superb information, and thanks for posting. Now I'm very interested in seeing the officers version, if anyone has one?

CB

I haven't found any definitive evidence that officer's caps changed between WW2 and Korea. The officer's dress uniform remained basically the same and I believe the matching service cap did also. Here's a group of officers in 1952, note the service cap.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/58451159@N00/15865779128/in/photostream/

SocietyBrandHatCo

Great topic, Matt! Perhaps I can cast some light on the officers' caps. Call me a nerd but I love to glean information about service caps (being in the cap business). There is quite a bit of information to be found in "The Army Officer's Guide" (with a new edition and new revisions coming out almost every year, the information is incredible). I believe it was the 1948 edition that I was reading one day and I stumbled across a gem of information. Beginning 1 January 1948 all new service cap purchases had to be in fur felt (to be worn with the "pinks and greens") or in wool serge (same as the caps you have documented here, to be worn with the Ike jacket). Service caps in wool gabardine elastique could be continued to be worn until deemed unserviceable (I don't recall the wear out date), but new service cap purchases could not be in elastique. Service caps worn with the summer service uniform had to be tropical worsted wool (same as the uniform). When wearing the Class C (khaki cotton shirt and trousers) the cap had to be the removable cotton cover for the frames you show here.

That's great documentation for when the enlistedman caps started having the mohair center band, previously only on officer caps, instead of the plain smooth band.

I have a WW2 era private purchase EM cap that has the front/rear chinstraps, mohair band, but is EM and was always that way.

an Officer's eagle is too tall to fit it, so it was made as EM.

-Brian

SocietyBrandHatCo

I have a WW2 era private purchase EM cap that has the front/rear chinstraps, mohair band, but is EM and was always that way.

-Brian

Brian, that would be interesting to see. Do you have pics by chance?

Thanks for the info, Pete! So only the gabardine elastique caps were no longer authorized for purchase? A lot of the photos I looked at from the early 1950s appeared to be fur felt visors, so that all makes sense now.

SocietyBrandHatCo

Thanks for the info, Pete! So only the gabardine elastique caps were no longer authorized for purchase? A lot of the photos I looked at from the early 1950s appeared to be fur felt visors, so that all makes sense now.

Correct. You'll notice the fur felt regulations carried over into the "new" army green uniform adopted in 1956, as all those officers' caps are fur felt.

-Brian

Could it be pre-WW2? Some pre WW2 Officer cap eagles were rather small (similiar in size to WW1)

501stGeronimo

Could it be pre-WW2? Some pre WW2 Officer cap eagles were rather small (similiar in size to WW1)

I agree, he might want to check that out. Would be pretty smart to!

Correct. You'll notice the fur felt regulations carried over into the "new" army green uniform adopted in 1956, as all those officers' caps are fur felt.

Ah yes, the good old days before polyester blends took over.

SocietyBrandHatCo

Post-1947, larger domed disc?

The eagle was smaller within the disk, it didn't have outstretched "V" wings, and the reverse of the disk had a rolled lip, which prevented tarnish from rubbing onto the fabric (WWII enlisted cap devices are notorious for doing this).